Maverick Training and my first flatbed/Glass Struggle

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by w.h.o, Oct 27, 2015.

1. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Nope, still here. My truck broke down in CO and stayed in a hotel for almost a week..... freaking egr sensor. It was suppose to be good run, IA to CA, then deadhead to TX. Oh well. Other than that, nothing new, some good weeks some okay

59EX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Bummer.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you average miles wise on a full week? And how long you stay out?

4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I stay out 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Last month I had a week off plus that breakdown so ima show u june.

(start on wednesday) *deadhead from Fenton, MI*
    June 1 - 3
    De Witt, IA - Manhattan, KS
    890 miles

June 3
    deadhead back to De Witt, IA
    467 miles

June 4 - 6
    De Witt, IA - Utica, OH
    480 miles
    Deadhead to Laurinburg, NC

June 7 - 9
    Laurinburg, NC - Ottawa, IL
    1361 miles

June 9 - 10
    Ottawa, IL - De Witt, IA
    114 miles

*June 11 - 12 Home*

June 13 - 14
    Ottawa, IL - Etobicoke. ON
    656 miles
    Deadhead to Laurinburg, NC

June 15 - 18
    Laurinburg, NC - Albertville, MN
    2029 miles
    Deadhead to Spring Hill, KS

June 19 - 22
    Spring Hill, KS - Houston, TX
    1182 miles
    Deadhead to Corsicana, TX

June 23 - 27
    Corsicana, TX - Secaucus, NJ
    1732 miles
    Deadhead to Geneva, NY

June 28 - 30
    Geneva, NY - De Witt, IA
    1040 miles

Month of june ends and I went home for from July 1 - 7th

So month of june, I had 9949 miles, divided that by 4 weeks I average 2487 miles.

hallellujah and 59EX Thank this.
  5. Modlite11

Modlite11 Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Clinton, TN
    Only thing i miss about glass, is the empty miles. :cool:

hallellujah and RedRover Thank this.
  6. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I am so sorry that I did not see your comment when you put it in.....Thanks for the kind words...

7. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    W.H.O. I have enjoyed reading your thread. I never did glass so I am very interested in your adventures! Thanks for taking the time to share!!

w.h.o Thanks this.
  8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    It has been a year since I made this thread, so it's time for my 1 year review with Maverick Transportation.

As a whole, the company is well organized. I met my recruiter, talked to dispatcher, safety and there's even a driver retention guy that had contact me. Everybody is friendly, office wise, some mechanic are just mechanic lol

Dispatcher
    Dispatcher are not 24/7 unlike big megas who has 24 hours dispatcher. After 5pm, dispatchers are gone but usually they will give me something before they leave. If not, then I'll just drive to a truck stop and call it a night. Flatbed is usually a morning type gig so it works out.

Now glass dispatcher is different, but predictable. Go here, unload, drive to a glass plant and reload. I rarely sit waiting on glass dispatcher. But if freight is slow, then they might give me a flatbed load. It's kinda easy to tell if I'm getting a flatbed load because I would sit longer than usual, like they are waiting and trying to prevent me from getting a flatbed load. Now some drivers hate getting flatbed loads. Which understandable, if you are pulling a specific freight, pulling something different might feel uncomfortable. But I get the same pay rate and the load probably don't need to be tarp, so win win for me. I don't mind getting a flatbed load, it's part of the job.

Sometimes when I'm coming out of hometime, freight is slow so dispatcher will let me stay home another day. Fine by me, hometime is more important than pay for me.

As for on time delivery and pushing drivers the the limit on HOS, well I honestly don't know how to rate them. There's time I barely made it to my appointment. If you don't know how to do a 8/2 split, I suggest you learn because it's extremely useful. But during the weekend, drivers have the option to do a reset. So it's hard to tell if they run drivers to the wall on HOS. But it's good mileage and good paycheck.

Alright enough on dispatcher, how about fleet managers? Every driver is different, so this is my personal experience. I'm not a talker. I don't chat, don't hang out much in the driver lounge in the terminal. With that said, the only time my manager call me was to sent me home. Never harassed, never called to check up, never got yell at, not that I did anything to get in trouble. He let me be and I do my job. He's a great guy and always paid me what he promise. He's also a ex otr/owner op driver so he understand how it is. I don't like someone watching over my shoulder and he doesn't do that. I do my job, and do it right.

Hometime
    I can't express how much hometime is important to me. And Maverick beats any otr company on hometime. Now maybe I'm in the right area, and maybe it depends on freight, but most of the time I get 3-4 days off after being out just for 2 weeks. I even got a week off at one point. I get sent home a day early, and they would even call if they can't get you home at the time you requested.

Now when I started, I honestly thought the hometime request was just a general idea to them to get you home. Like if I wanted to be home Friday the 5th at 8am, I thought it would be like Friday night I would get home or Saturday morning. No. They actually commit to what you put down. The first few months I would get calls from dispatcher asking if it was ok if I get home a few hours later, which was surprising to me, I never thought they would commit and thought it depended on freight.

Here's an example. Request hometime Oct. 1st at 10am - depart Oct 4 at 10am.

As you see i don't count the 1st and 4th as hometime but the 2rd and 3rd as a FULL hometime and they honor it. Now as a rule they would like you to leave the house before 10am so you can't pass 10. Depending on the day I usually depart 7am or 9am.

Freight and miles
    It has it moments. Some weeks are slow, some weeks are busy. Glass deadhead ALOT. Miles is great, over 2k a week, maybe 1700 on the very slow day.

General stuff.
    East coast stuff....get use to running east... Maverick has more freight going east than west. And yes glass guys go to NYC and yes it's like 200$ extra to deliver in NYC.
    Force dispatch, I don't care about it idk why some drivers really hate forced dispatch, it's a job, just do it, put on your big boy pants and go to NYC. Everybody hate east coast and NYC , you're not the only one.

Sometimes dispatcher will call and ask which load you wanna take, which is nice to choice.

Well idk what else to add. Maverick has been good with me and I really enjoy working for them. There's guys here that been working over 5 years with them and I can see why.

To end this, even though I said all this about Maverick, I hate to disappoint and say I'm actually leaving. There's something Maverick can't control, and it's time for me to go back local. I started local work when I got my CDL, did a few gig, went regional with Schneider and otr with Maverick. I don't have any major issue with Maverick or Schneider. Maybe the govern truck and stupid, annoying safety features but lot of company is going that way. My otr days are over. I enjoyed it. I use to be excited about it, but after 3 years sleeping in the truck, I miss a lot back home. It's nothing Maverick could had prevented, because at one point a driver has to go back home.

FB_IMG_1477930940830.jpg FB_IMG_1477930925419.jpg FB_IMG_1477930914583.jpg FB_IMG_1477930906688.jpg FB_IMG_1477930888616.jpg FB_IMG_1477930878478.jpg FB_IMG_1477772170791.jpg 20161029_210630-01.jpeg

highspeed1972, HalpinUout and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If it is the little rock station for the bus Im thinking of, you are lucky.

Predators and parasites infest the place inside and around it.

Never, ever be south of 630 at night or on 65th or University day or night here in LR. The crimes is bad. I conceal carry under license and do not even go to these areas because I don't feel like having to explain to the Law why I took out the bad guy.

Be careful taking your glass loads into and out of Galloway Petro off 40. That pavement sometimes gets really bad. It's pretty good now, but by spring the heaves will break it up good.

12 hours on the bus aint bad, I did 20 to get here.

10. DeadArmadillo

DeadArmadillo Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    I am sorry to hear that w.h.o. is leaving Maverick glass. Your insight to that particular division, for me, has been invaluable. I hope your new position turns out to be what you hope it will be.

w.h.o and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ya know I gained a education in glass specailized for car windshields in GM with curtainsides for a few months. But really big glass on decks and such, I learned something here also from Who. Ty sir.

w.h.o Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.