Max PSP points acceptable?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by IluvCATS, Dec 4, 2016.

1. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Question for CSA experts. Whats the typical number for PSP points until you are in deep water? How many ruin your ability to get another job with a reputable company?

Example: 1 single securement violation (multiplied x 3 during first year) can be a lot of points (easily over 20) for one violation with no ticket issued. 1 mistake and game over?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    70-90 is usually the cut off for new employment at larger companies in my experience. California got me good on a few "warning tickets" a couple of years ago. I think I got 72 points out of the deal. I was asked about it but no one ever turned me down.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    A lot will depend on what the points were given for. One can have a bunch of minor infractions totaling a fairly high number and probably get on just about anywhere. However, a single at fault accident will disqualify one from a large percentage of companies even if there is no other points to go with it.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    This will also vary at the determination of the company's insurance carrier.

6. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    It was securement of coils done incorrectly. 7 points. Kingman, AZ. DOT inspection level 2. I had 6 coils (slinkies). My first and last coil were only on 4x4 timbers, no coil racks. So they were touching the deck. That was the issue. I had been preoccupied with getting my straps right.

No ticket, just had to turn around and go get Nu Core to fix it. Violation with no ticket. This was last October. My Safety dept got a copy but did not make me come in or explain. But I see in my report this 7 points x 3 = 21 total points. Yikes.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    The company that I work for doesn't even pull a PSP report on new drivers.

It's my opinion that if a company relies on PSP points to make a hiring decision, that's probably a company that you want to pass on.

ad356 Thanks this.
  8. William68snyder

William68snyder Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I was turned down for a job, said their insurance wouldn't take anyone with more than 15. I had 30 from one inspection, no violations.

9. Samcro88

Samcro88 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Who do you work for?

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm going to post this link and leave. This is one of those subjects I just don't have much stomach for. Your answer is on this webpage.

www.jjkeller.com/learn/compliance-safety-accountability-csa-faqs

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.