McLane out of Dallas

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by rodeo92, Apr 12, 2016.

1. rodeo92

rodeo92 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Dallas,Tx
    Is there anybody that can give me a better idea of what to expect running for McLane out of the Dallas terminal? How are their routes structured, and what is the pay scale?
    Long story short, I left my cushy dedicated job with schneider to go lease with a very good company who ended up sending me 1100 miles back home after deciding i wanted to "be home too much" and my income expectations were too high.
    Anyways, I am between running teams for a fedex contractor(home less but high pay), and working for McLane(hard work, home often, higher end of pay from what i have seen)
    Thanks! :cool:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My neighbor works out of the Fort Worth DC, his run is 4.5 days, only away 2 nights a week though. The job is hard, you literally throw cases fast for 8hrs out of the day. He has been with them for about 6 years, and said he made about 75k last year. He's trying to move into operations, he is getting older and everything is starting to hurt lol.

rodeo92 Thanks this.
  4. rodeo92

rodeo92 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Dallas,Tx
    Thanks! That is about what I was looking for. I want to save up some cash for an older daycab and run intermodal a year or two down the road, and was looking for around 75k a year to cover the bills, save a good amount, and still have time to enjoy life haha

5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Go for it. As others have posted you should do about 70k your first year maybe close to 80k if you really bust it. A lot more work than Schneider but the pay is much more rewarding

rodeo92 Thanks this.
  6. Brettj3876

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I had the same 4.5 day work schedule when i did food delivery, 2 overnight runs. One was a blatimore turn 28-30 hrs and the other was a long Island turn about 35hrs. I loved the schedule. Had saturday morning until monday night off, and wednesday afternoon until 12am the start of friday. I wouldn't trade that schedule for anything, pretty much all weekend off and a full day off during the week. Never had to miss work for a dr. appt with a schedule like this. Expect something similar at Mclane

7. rodeo92

rodeo92 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Dallas,Tx
    That sounds good to me! Family time matters, and we love going camping so that will give us enough time for some small weekend trips. I guess ill give them a shot:cool:

8. Brettj3876

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If your looking for home time Mclane is the better choice, they're not bs'ing you like road companies will about home time, your schedule is your schedule. They might call you once in a while to cover a run for a guy that's sick or on vacation that's about it. I think the DC around my way likes to use a lot of 36 foot trailers but they use quite a bit of 48's too. A 48 is real fun when your all by yourself. I never worked at Mclane so I don't the situation with driver helpers or if they have any. Get yourself a good pair of boots with ankle support and good traction. You'll be going up and down the ramp into greasy kitchens all day, it's real easy to get hurt especially in the beginning when your getting the hang of things. If the company doesn't supply one cut out a 4ftx2.5ft plywood for helping you up curbs with the cart. Some freezers have lips so it helps there too

I'm not positive but I think they pay by the case and by the mile and throw you a 40-50 per-diem for sleeping in the truck. You could potentially get an on time and perfect truck bonus like my company did

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.