Mechanic faults

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by haider99, Sep 19, 2016.

1. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Just want to hear some stories where you got work done by a mechanic and because of their negligence and bad work, your truck had broke down causing more repair. What did you do when this was the case and what should I be doing?

Here is my story...

My lemon of a truck, 07 Volvo Vnl has been breaking down a lot. In the past month, I have spent around $15k changing/repairing Clutch, air compressor, electrical, egr.
    I got my clutch, fork and all the other stuff that goes with it about a month ago. Today, while on the road, the driveshaft from the U-Joint at the back of the transmission broke because the bolts broke and came off. I now have to tow the truck to a shop and get u-joint, hangers and bearing repaired. A service mechanic told me its due to clutch repair, where the mechanic did not tighten the bolts.

For the experience people: Could this be because of mechanic's negligence while doing clutch replacement? If so, what are the steps I can take to make the mechanic shop accountable. I gave them late dated cheques, and I can still hold their payment.

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You can call them and ask them to pay tow and repair bill?

4. kevin7898

kevin7898 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Fort McMurray, AB
    If they are any kind of shop they will stand behind their work. Accidents happen, especially on flat rate

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    #### happens. Sometimes we get distracted and forget things. Best thing you can do is to crawl under the truck and take a look before you leave the shop, just to make sure there is nothing obvious wrong. Most reputable shops will try and go good on something like that.

6. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Same shop spend 9 hours trying to find some electrical issue, not even fixed. Which my OWN mechanic in home city found and repaired in 30 minutes

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Electrical is one of those things that a suprising number of techs are clueless about. If you can find someone who's good with electrical, don't scare 'em off lol.

8. kevin7898

kevin7898 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Fort McMurray, AB
    Yup, electrical is one of those things. It's like chasing a problem that's there one minute and gone for the next month. It's only going to get worse as multiplexing and canbus systems come in more and more

9. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Pretty bad that sucky shops are a dime a dozen. I usually make it a point to look over the work afterward to check for loose hardware, and I have found it. I've fixed many things myself that mechanics couldn't figure out.

As for the OP, I wouldn't withhold the funds for the work they did. That can open you up to a lawsuit. You should deal with them for the work not finished properly and damages afterward. If they will not own up to it, then you can take it to the courts yourself.

kevin7898 Thanks this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    A couple of thoughts. Isn't u joints fairly easy to see on a pretrip? It has been so long since I've driven a sleeper, but on my day cab they are right in the open. Also I question the clutch replacement caused it. Maybe if it was only a week or so but would a poorly mounted u joint even last a month?

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Can usually feel it while driving when they are gonna give out soon. If the bolts were in there but just loose the driver likely wouldn't pick it up on the pretrip. Maybe if he got under there and try hard as you can to find a wiggle in it but most drivers rarely if ever do that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.