Medical Background

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dg23, Jul 1, 2015.

1. dg23

dg23 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    So here's the deal...My brother jus signed up with CR England last week to get his CDL and start a career he's been wanting to do for the longest. I really wish him the best and hope he succeeds and makes it to the top of the industry in no time. But here's the problem..He has had 2 random seizures about 6 years ago...got checked out & doc couldnt find out why...He got on meds and has never had a single one after that incident...He still takes the meds jus to be cautious...He also has high blood pressure which is completely under control and he takes the proper medication for...But he did not mention any of this on his paperwork in fear of them turning him down or doing a investigation and slowing down the process. My question is do you think they actually take the time & go back and look at your medical records even though you passed your DOT Physical with flying colors?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    He's starting at the absolute biggest bottom feeder in the industry. Who knows what will happen.

4. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    If he is taking drugs that show up on a drug screen he will need to come clean and there are certain medical conditions that disqualify you but better to take one step at a time he has a long way to go and alot of low paying hard work ahead. I started at cr England 5 years ago they absolutely suck but I listen to experienced drivers who told me to stick it out and keep my record clean I put in 1 year at England then went to a better still #### ty company did 2 years then moved up again 5 years in and I drive a 8 axle heavy haul truck and make good money it can be done.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The accident where he hurts someone or kills them will be his last driving experience. Any lawyer with any brains will tear into his background to find any reason why he should not drive and seizures is one of these things where the lawyer will own that person in court and the company will end up paying a lot of money.

I have a friend who has this issue and he can't drive. It was so unpredictable when it happened. He had the first one 20 years ago and not one for almost 10 years but one day driving home from work, he had one and ran into oncoming traffic, almost killing a kid and his parents. Then he had them ever few months but the docs could not tell what was triggering them. He just can't drive any more and has become pretty much disable.

Because of this, I think the fmcsa should never allow anyone with a history of seizures to ever drive a truck. Too much liability and danger to those on the road.

6. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    Like many others, I too got into trucking with CR England and the ten months spent with them absolutely sucked... but it did get me started. As for your brother not being 100% honest on the initial paperwork, I would encourage you to tell him it might be wise to change that course... because they are quite thorough and will likely send him home (at his own expense - no free bus ticket home) if/when they discover he lied about his medical history. Good luck to your brother!

7. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    There are medical conditions that you can regulate and still drive truck and some you cant not being able to drive truck because you had a seizure 20 or 6 years ago is absurd I see this unhealthy fat drivers out here everyday so fat they can barely climb in the cab they are ticking time bombs on dropping dead behind the wheel I think the regulations in place are sufficient.

8. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    There are around a million truck drivers on blood pressure medications. Putting down a blood pressure medication on medical application is no big deal if it gets your blood pressure under 140. I am on Lisinopril so no need to skip it.

If you get into an accident and lawyers subpoena your medical records and find that you lied by not putting down blood pressure medications on your DOT physical they can turn an accident that was not the truck drivers fault into the truck driver losing a case due to documented lying.

9. DrPatCME

DrPatCME Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Washington, NJ
    There is a reason why you, the driver, are putting your signature on page 1 of your physical. You are attesting that your medical history is true,and if you lied you lose. Besides, having a history of seizures does NOT automatically disqualify you. You need to be stable on the medications and seizure-free for a period of time, and those times vary depending on the cause of the seizures. A diagnosis of epilepsy, however, requires an 8-year waiting period of being seizure-free on or off meds. It would be in his best interest to come clean. As for the blood pressure, Moon_beam said it best. It's not a big deal if you get your BP under 140/90.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.