Medical Card Question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Female Driver, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MNoutkast

MNoutkast Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    I can see your point. However I feel my privacy is important, that includes my medical history that is not relevant to the job at hand. There is a certain amount that one needs to know...things like you listed...but not every piece of my medical history is needed for any reason. I refuse to live my life in fear of being sued frivolously.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dagger

Dagger Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I remember reading about some medical data base used by insurance companies where private health information is stored and can be accessed by other insurance companies and legal entities. I don't have time to search for it now, I'll update when I find it.

If you use medical insurance, you can be tracked.

Many docs and clinics are switching to electronic medical records. Your complete medical history will be available easily to any doctor, therefore, under subpoena, to any court. For now, paper records and cash are more private.

4. Dagger

Dagger Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Here is the information on the Medical Information Bureau. Apparently you can check to see what they have in your file. There are some other data bases listed in the article. It also has some information about keeping your information private.

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs8-med.htm

Female Driver Thanks this.
  5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Always report all meds taken.

From the drivers prospective...

This isn't about "what" meds you're on per se. It's about failing to report a med that causes a failed drug test.

Once you fail a drug test. It's very hard to put that genie back in the bottle. Regardless of whether you were taking them with Doctors orders or not.

Of course, some meds are going to disqualify a driver. Regardless of them being prescribed or not.

6. MNoutkast

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    You will not, and can not fail a drug test for taking prescribed medications...PERIOD. The Medical Review Officer must contact you before submitting a positive result, if you can prove a medical reason for ANY drug in your system it is reported as a NEGATIVE....this is for ALL prescribed medications. Including drugs that would disqualify you from driving.

Remember DOT physicals are completely separate from DOT drug testing. DOT drug testing is only to ensure that you are not taking any drug illegally.

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I know a driver that did fail the test and they would not accept the information on the prescription after the sample was taken.

Do what you want, but my license is going to stay clear.

dancnoone Thanks this.
  8. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Same here.

Besides, why would you NOT list a med on the questionnaire. Unless you felt like you had something to hide.

There are meds which will medically disqualify you.

9. MNoutkast

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    Would like to know what questionnaire you are filling out when you take a DOT drug screen? (Federal law prohibits the collector from asking any medical information, that is the MRO's responsibilty) and med disqualifying you is different than failing a Drug test.

10. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    I am going to go with MNoutkast as what a company does is maybe their place to do so but I have seen too few places in general - still working on cdl - that really do not have an informed opinion on many issues that should be ~ even asprin has been "replaced" by ibuprofen or something and at 61 I have totally stopped all chems legit or otherwise .... it was 70's when I wised-up about the whole thing but any company that is concerned about it should tell you and if not then only those substance with C.N.S. documented effects should be of any concern to any company

11. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Questionaire I've taken.... one question. Not really a question.

Please list any medications you are currently taking.

Many of the "disqualifying" meds will result in a "failed" drug test. This is not to say it would not be changed, with further scrutiny.

I have a sister and a cousin who both take Morphine. Do you think that either would be allowed to drive? Do you think either would pass a drug test?

I'm just curious, because they both have prescriptions.

We're spending a LOT of time, parsing words here. Especially when you consider that you can FAIL a drug test, by not showing up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.