Medical Card Question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Female Driver, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Every so often, I read about Medicare fraud, which is in the millions or maybe billions. It seems that Docs (some bad ones) put in phony claims to Medicare and Medicare just pays them. This is for treatments NOT actually done, but the Doc is claiming he did it. Then we have our Government paying contractors billing for $800 toilet seats $19 screws etc. Citizens cheat the IRS out of billions yearly. My Doctors office has boo-coo files in plain view when I walk in. Why's this when we're in the computer age ? Yes, this is the 21st century and our technology is amazing. But, to computerize Joe Schmoes ingrown toenail office visit down in BFE Al,6 months ago into a country wide data base seems a little far fetched. However, I'll admit I could be wrong.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

So, medicare fraud is wrong, yet you are clearly stating that there is no problem for a driver to lie on the medical form which is amusing coming from a trucker report staff member.

Using your theory, if a driver is a diabetic, he just needs to lie on the form and he has a job.

I may not agree with all of the rules we have to face out here, but I believe in giving the correct information on the board without personal bias.

I really believe this is wrong to suggest from a staff member.

4. MNoutkast

MNoutkast Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    This thread has been based mostly on opinion, it is a discussion board after all.

5. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    May be a discussion, but when you deal with things like this, it opens a whole can of worms.

We should be presenting true information to the members here.

Otherwise, why not just become a forum where we support illegal running and whatever it takes?

6. Allow Me.

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I'm referring to Medicare, for instance, as well as the IRS being computerized, yet, there is lots of fraud etc. even with the technology available. Computerizing everything does not solve all problems.

As far as being biased and a TTR staff member, forget that I'm a staff member. I was a member first, then asked to join the staff. I was told that I could continue to be a member first and staff member second. Mgmt told me they felt I was a viable contributor to the forum. I have a very thick skin and I'm not offended easily. After 32 years in trucking, I know quite a bit about the business. Ask me just about anything, and I'll give you my advice. Is it legal/ethical/the answer you want to hear ? Maybe yes, maybe no. I won't dance around the issue and sugarcoat anything. The reality is you can be 100% honest or fudge a little. I'll be the first to discourage anyone with any serious medical issue to forget about trucking. As you know, there are more than a few wannabes that take questionable drugs and have serious medical issues and still want to get into trucking. And they come here and ask away, right ? We can only take them at face value when they say their daily dosage of such-n-such a drug doesn't affect their daily routine and have their Doc's OK. Personally, I don't see how a 400lb guy can even get a medical card, but, yet, they're out there. Kind of scary to me.

What I attempt to do on this forum is let people know there are usually more than one way to do things, whether it's pertaining to logs, questions from employers etc. It's then up to that individual which way he wants to handle his situation. It's like giving directions, there's more than one route from Chicago to Miami. You tell them the way you would go, I tell them the way I would go, and he can go the way he wants.

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

I know you used the medicare and the fraud. I was only showing that failure to comply with the medical questions on the long form is a type of fraud as well and that you had no problems with it.

I have seen many cases of drivers on medications and other things that would prevent them from passing the medical exam. Many of them are older drivers and have stated the exact thing that you did. My medical history is only what I tell them.

Such a comment being posted here can lead to someone with a questionable history or medications to not comply and next thing you know they are driving. Even though we hope they are not serious illness or whatever.

We should strive to present the best information to the members of the forum since they are coming to us with requests.

I expect that we will see with the electronic medical information being retained, that only certain doctors will be allowed to perform physicals. I expect that we will see them requiring full HIPAA release forms and data searches in the future on the medical history of the driver. It will make things like this moot.

As I stated before, many things I do not agree with, but I only present the information according to the rules we have to go by out here. Telling a driver to basically lie on the medical questions is a questionable action.

My intention was to only show that we should hold ourselves to higher standards on here.

It is apparent we will not be in agreement here and no reason to beat a dead horse.

8. Allow Me.

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Like I said, I believe all information should be divulged and the asker can do what he wants. Like a tax preparer, he states what you can deduct LEGALLY, and may tell you about deductions that are in a grey area, but you actually make the decision. Some of the newbies here ask questions, because they've heard different opinions. So, I say inform them wheather right or wrong, and they can decide what to do.

9. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's real simple here if people would read the regulations and laws. The "magical" forbidden drug list only list schedule 1 drugs or in other words any drug that has no medical use. All other medication falls on the doctor if he or she is going to prescribe a medication. All that is required of the driver is to inform that doctor that you are a truck driver. THAT'S the law. Any other requirement a company may have is their own policy. So back to the OP, if you are not taking the medication any longer why worry about it? They have to have a positive drug test and the MRO has to investigate the positive to see if you are taking a drug without a prescription. If your doctor does not agree to a prescription for a drug then you are not allowed to take it.

Not listing what a company is asking on a job application is different then what you can and can not take as a medication. If you fail to list a drug you are taking and you come back positive and you have a prescription for it the company may fire you for not listing or lying on the application. They can not say you broke any laws because you did not. If you belive there are medications that are forbidden even controlled medications please show where you are not allow to take these medications if they are prescribed properly. Please list the law or statute.

Female Driver Thanks this.
  10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

So, what would the thoughts be toward people that do not tell what medications they are on because it might lead to a shorter physical or not being qualified to drive.

11. Female Driver

Female Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Midwest
    I worried about it because it is listed on my medical card as me taking it, and a recruiter mentioned that such drugs could be forbidden by their company.

At the time I had my medical exam, I was using the medication as needed. I am no longer taking it. Therefore, I was worried that I would be unemployable because of a medication listed on my med card that I no longer take.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.