Melton, retired military friendly? yes or no

Discussion in 'Melton' started by tractorman1970, Nov 6, 2015.

1. tractorman1970

tractorman1970 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Schellsburg, PA
    Hello, I have been reading a lot about Melton and several other flatbed carriers and it seems there are a good many former military working at them. From what I have read I am leaning towards Melton. I would like a no crap opinion is Melton as military friendly as the web-site claims them to be? Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Not Melton specific, but who isn't military friendly? Vets go to the front of the line here when we hire. For several reasons. That goes back to my grandfathers time. Our own preferances aside, i still can't think of a better pool to hire from.

Mudguppy and tractorman1970 Thank this.
  4. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    The only companies not military friendly can be found in Chicago. Taliban and Eastern European companies.

5. tractorman1970

Oct 30, 2015
    Schellsburg, PA
    Thanks kranky1, and HorseShoe, I'm nearing my 20 year mark with the Navy and I'm looking to get back into a truck. I did it a little between the Army and the Navy so now that I'll have the pension behind me and the VA benefits for the transition period I think I'll be a little more successful this time around.

6. Matt Mills

Matt Mills Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Melton considers military time employment, you get extra benefits from serving with multiple companies
    With that being said, Thank You for serving the USA!.

tractorman1970 Thanks this.
  7. James65

James65 Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    How is the trucking career coming? I too will be retiring from the Navy in Apr, Can you provide me with some information how to get started to in trucking.

8. tractorman1970

Oct 30, 2015
    Schellsburg, PA
    I start training for my cdl on Monday, I have been reaching out to various companies, researching on here to find the general opinion, but remember take what you read with a grain of salt, as some folks don't seem to have work ethic others do. So as with anything do your best due diligence when choosing your direction. Good luck.

9. James65

James65 Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015

10. James65

James65 Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    In my research, I am told by recruiters that they will take 25% of my total military for my starting pay. Do you have any info on that?

11. tractorman1970

Oct 30, 2015
    Schellsburg, PA
    I do not, I think I am leaning towards a tanker company outta NJ. They have a terminal about 40 minutes from where I'm settling down to in PA.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.