Mercedes MBE 4000 problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Greasehauler, May 10, 2010.

1. aussie peter

aussie peter Bobtail Member

pablo
    truck has been checked out by detroit here in melbourne and they say everything is within parametres. At this stage i don't have any tools avaliable for checking. I did fit a steinbauer to truck it went a lot better but would shut down after a period of time, i have since removed it and returned for a refund

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I've never used steinbauer....

4. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    My mercedes motor has the turbo brake on it and I got to thinking the other day. Does the turbo brake hurt the performance of the motor???? I mean it's only maybe 3.5"-4" wide on the inside of the turbo brake housing right after the turbo, does this affect how well the motor can breath???

Also, has anybody here installed a performance exhaust manifold on a MBE4000 motor???? The reason I ask is because I've heard that performance manifolds lower exhaust temps and since these motors are known for having head & headgasket problems I thougt if a different manifold could lower the exhaust temp we could potentially avoid some of those head and headgasket problems?????

I know alot of people with cats and cummins put better turbos on when they put performance manifolds on, would you see an improvement on the mercedes with the performance manifold while still running the stock turbo????

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    really engine torque is limited with five point curve in ECM program, and U can do all and engine will run the same way!

Yeah, In Europe mercedes put something like a fiber wool inside mufflers, and if I do engine reprogramming for more power, over 460 HP we use to pull out this stuff

6. granhawler

Feb 26, 2011

can you reprogram the torque limit????

7. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I did it with European engines. I sugest the same way with US engines. I use Mercedes Star Diagnose.

Really, torque limit is stored in EPROM (93C86), two bite per point, 5 points. So no reflashing

8. granhawler

Feb 26, 2011
    I may have to find somebody here in the states that can do this, Would a dealer be able to do this or would I have to go to an independent repair facility????

How much more torque is available by doing this???

9. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Dealers cant do it.

I did it with Temic ECMs only.

BTW, are there in the USA faulty Mercedes ECMs? may be there is a reason to try to rebuild....

10. granhawler

Feb 26, 2011
    Private message sent.

11. granhawler

Feb 26, 2011

Do you put anything on the gasket other than High temp silicone. When we work on other makes of motors we spray the headgasket down with a product called copper coat, Are you familiar with this product????

I'm planning on doing a headgasket job on mine in the next week or so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.