Mercer Transportation Co., Inc. - Louisville, Ky.?

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by HEAVY METAL, Oct 6, 2006.

1. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2006
    K-TOWN,ON.CA
    Anyone know anything about Mercer Transportation out of Louisville? Thinking of throwing a truck on there but wanted to hear if anyone knew anything of them.
    Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    You may want to check with Big rock out of Peru,In.,i have worked for them out of maine and Sargeants in Maine. Great folks. Mercer used to be a great company in the 75 early 80s,I used to trip lease with them with my truck . Don't know how good they are now. Landstar has good rates also. You can pick your own loads right off the laptop in your truck thru their site.

4. LindaLou

LindaLou Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2006
    I have a good friend there for about 2 months now and he couldn't be more happy. If you like I can put you in touch with him to ask him personally.

5. kc0rey

kc0rey Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    I know a couple of Mercer drivers........They are very happy

6. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2006
    K-TOWN,ON.CA
    Thanks everyone. We are currently trying to put the truck on with another company but Mercer is our 2nd choice.....The first company is trying to verify my time at Landstar Ranger and of course Ranger is throwing us a hard time.....So if they dont do what they have to, then we are going to give Mercer a shot.
    Thanks again.

7. Gonzo_

Gonzo_ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Clayton, NC
    I've been with Mercer for about 5 years now.. I'll try and answer questions if you have any.. There are a few threads going on about Mercer already try searching for them.. Mercer is a decent company. BUT like everyone else you have to learn where the decent areas are and the not so decent areas are.. You are going to sit and you are going to wait.. Mercer has a first in first offered load board system..
    <Some common myths:
    NO, you will NOT go to the bottom of the list if you turn down a load from a coordinator (what Mercer calls dispatchers).
    NO, you wil not piss anyone off if you turn down freigh all day long..
    NO, seniority makes no difference in getting a load at Mercer, if you were empty first YOU get offered the load first.. PERIOD.
    (There is no "good buddy system" # Mercer")...
    NO, Mercer does not charge back any fuel taxes to their contractors, You fuel where it is cheapest.. Only catch, you must run their base plate when yours runs out when leasing on.

Yes, Mercer has it's fair share of junk freight.. just look at the broker board... that is the stuff that generaly no Mercer contractor wants to pull..
    Yes, Mercer advances aproximately 50&#37; of what the load pays the truck upon pick up of the load. Money is "loaded on either TCH or ComData, or a combination of the 2..
    YES, Mercer has National Tire accounts, Michelin, Goodyear, Yokahama, & Bridgestone (that I know of)..

Any other ?? please feel free to ask away...

8. kc8yhk

kc8yhk Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Ohio
    hey Mercer drivers!

Just wondering how freight is with you guys right now, do you do much sitting?

Also is there a certain amount of time you have to be out on the road with them? I know you gotta get out there and run to make the money but sometimes I run till all of a sudden I just want a few days at home. I know it also depends on what freight (if any) is going towards home.

I used to flatbed but went to a more local company pulling dry van. all these short drop and hooks are driving me crazy. I might find a decent flatbed trailer for sale and go back OTR

9. Gonzo_

Gonzo_ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Clayton, NC
    Lets start by saying Mercer is a 100&#37; Owner Operator company.. So having said that, there is NO set time you have to stay anywhere, ON or OFF the road. You are the Capt. of your own ship! Mercer cannot tell you to do anything, they just offer freight when you want it. You want to go home, you tell your coordinator to look for somthing heading in that direction..

You wanna run, just say so and keep your coordinator informed of your preferances and he'll try to accomodate them.. Yes, we sit.. Times are tough everywhere. Freight isn't great right now.. Some areas have a lot of short stuff, but if your only wanting coast to coast runs.. you'll be sitting for a bit..

If you want to go home just say so, If you do not want to be bothered at home with load offers say so.. Your phone will never ring till you say your ready to start accepting offers. (Just make sure you still send in your logs! You go more than 14 days without sending in logs your on stop dispatch.. do not pass go, do not even talk to this person about freight till his logs are in.. You cannot even look for freight on the computer, you are locked out till they receive those logs!)

Another myth, You CAN turn down freight all day and NO you do not get sent to the bottom of the list for refusing loads..

Any more questions feel free to throw them out I'll try and help as best as I can! I've been with Mercer a bit over 5 years now... I'm staying till I sell my truck then I plan on hanging up my spurs for good.. No more trucks for me..:)

10. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    Gonzo, kind of a stupid question, but why do I see so many mercer trucks around Marianna, Fl? I run dedicated between Tallahassee and Dothan and fuel at the TA, Exit 142, and see mercer trucks on a weekly basis, usually a handful of them, and unfortunately I see them for days at a time, are they just waiting for good paying freight to get out, or is there no freight at all in this area of Florida? Hate to bother you with the simple questions, but I figure since I'm here, and I wanted to know, I'll ask.

11. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    I know FL is tough to get out of at times, it just depends on what the ports are doing and how freight is moving. I unloaded at the port in SC with 3 other mercer OO's and they all had loads for the next day. It was in the afternoon when we unloaded

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.