Meritor drive lines

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Mike Blevins, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    I have a 2013 Westernstar with a meritor drive train. I have never blown a inner wheel seal or rear end seal ever until this truck. I have blown 6 inner wheel seals and 5 rear end seals were the yokes go in and out of front and rear drive axles. Some was covered under warrenty, some not. This also may be why my fuel milage is much lower than the industry standard, which is one of the reasons I bought the truck. Daimler is even having trouble getting them to take care of the product and their customer. I do have a case number with daimler and they have helped. But it has still cost me a bunch plus down time and fuel milage. I have met another driver with a 2014 cascadia who seems to be starting to have the same problems. I urge you to file complaints and get case numbers to start a history for your records and cost.

unholy7 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BIF MALIBU

BIF MALIBU Heavy Load Member

May 21, 2010
    lake cushman wa
    i would go to a different shop.
    i was issued a new mack once and it quit going because the pa factory did not weld the drive shaft yokes. after it was towed the shop found that none of the clamps on the leaf springs axles or suspension were ever tightened.
    maybe you need the 3 axle alignment..
    that truck is still in service but all drivers say its a pos

4. Mike Blevins

Jun 27, 2015
    I know I never mentioned it, but I had a three wheel alignment because I had to get the height ajusted. Freightliner forgot to do one when they lowered it.

5. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Freightliner an Western star use meritor because the are cheaply manufactured, I have seen Eaton driver lines go millions of miles never seen a meritor that would keep up

6. Mike Blevins

Jun 27, 2015
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    According to local shop it's the housing flexing. Was talking to salesman at local tire shop,he said the housings are made thinner to save on weight.
    I run a 2000 fld. 1.7mil just replaced one of the original pinion seals.

8. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I've run my columbia offroad with a meritor setup and beat the flying #### out of that truck oilfield style.

the diff vent was very prone to plugging up, I actually changed out the type of vent I had on it as I did have a couple seal issues..... no problem since.

9. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    There's nothing wrong with Meritor ,
    Actually I've had more issues with Eaton rears then my Meritor rears I've got now.

You probley have a plugged vent like previously mentioned. Lol

10. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Eaton drive lines
    + 1 .

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have Meritor rear axles with 1.7m miles now. just changed twice input shaft seals. Dana or like you said Eaton's are going on Schneider's cheap trucks))). Same size Meritor axles are expensive than Danas. If you don't believe it go to dealer and check it out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.