metal edge protectors for coils

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by SAdriver, Aug 23, 2016.

1. SAdriver

SAdriver Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    My last co had use them on coils. This one not so much, don't even issue them.

last co the heaviest I ever pulled was 10k coils, this one I pulled 2 23k coils.

Had a driver at 1st co get a claim for not using them on 5 8k coils so I used them religiously.

Iimagine the lighter coils are easier to damage than the heavier?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Could be wrong, but I'm thinking the thickness of the plate is what matters.

4. SAdriver

SAdriver Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    Indeed Mack Iwould agree on that note. Was more wondering if iit's normal for heavier coils to be thicker as a rule or is it a case by case deal. Looking for some info from experienced heavy coil haulers.

5. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    Case by case

SAdriver Thanks this.
  6. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    Yes, the thinner the metal the easier it is to damage. But you can put chain nicks in thicker metal too. Also I have hauled heavier coils that were rolled thin. Depending on how picky the customer is depends on how much you can get away with has been my experience. However, if you read DOT securement rules you should use edge protection to protect your securement. I always use edge protection so I don't have to worry about a claim.

SidewaysBentHalo Thanks this.
  7. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Ya thats the bigger issue nowadays. I got written up in mi for no corner protectors on 1/4" black iron coils. So now I'm more apt to throw them on everything lol

8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Notice its always the PGT or KAPLAN or STEEL TRANSPORT trucks moving the Black Iron Coils with No Edge protectors or Tarps?

Cause its easy and they Steal all that Gravy work. (I'll Murder you) Like Moe from the three stooges likes to say.

The Coil loads you see on Broker Boards are Generally thin steel,Aluminum or Coated metal That requires Edge Protectors, Rubber matting, Tarping, And its usually more than just "1" coil.. (Yep,Get out more racks driver)

Yet, its paying Igor Krakowski Less than The owner from PGT is getting for Black Iron (Already with rust spots) Out of Arcelor Mittal Going 100 miles.

lol, Love how fair the game is, Don't ya folks./

ronslam and truckmaster9400 Thank this.
  9. ronslam

ronslam Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2015
    these people are gettin so crazy lookin to get get #### for free these days, better just to use them an cover your own ### on all coils

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Another thing is when they get small, 6-7k or so, they get too small to fit on a standard coil rack. They can sit on the deck and get damaged or wet from water running down the deck.

Try to remember to use some blocking to bring the timbers closer together. I was lucky the first time, heh.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.