Michigan Motor Carrier question

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by CDL100, Oct 13, 2015.

1. CDL100

CDL100 Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2015
    We live in Michigan and own a small construction company. We purchased a used truck recently and went to the DMV to transfer the registration from the old truck. We took the plate off the old truck and put it on the new one. The old truck was at 60,000 lbs -- the new truck we purchased needed to be around 48,000. The Secretary of State did not give us a 48,000 tag to put over the 60,000. We were not aware that we were supposed to do that.

Now we were pulled over and we received a misdemeanor for this. Should we get a lawyer and go to court to challenge this? We only own one truck and were not aware anything was wrong. We have always paid plate fees early and paid everything necessary for the past 20 years. The Secretary of State never told us anything when we went in to transfer the plate. This is such a huge misunderstanding.

We are told now, we can plead guilty to the misdemeanor and pay $275 or go to court and possibly have a trial. I am shocked that there could be a trial over something like this. We have no tickets/points or criminal history.

This is very upsetting and we just are not sure how to handle this. Any advice is so appreciated. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    In SC even a speeding summons can be a jury trial. I would say pay the fine and move on. Or go to the person who started the confusion and ask why it what's wrong. If you can straighten that out see when the officer is working and show him the paperwork of where it went wrong and it is fixed and he may drop it or lower the fine or something.

4. CDL100

CDL100 Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2015
    I would not mind if it was just a ticket. This is a misdemeanor and is a criminal offense. It goes on your record forever. I don't feel comfortable pleading guilty to something that I didn't do intentionally.

5. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Find out what went wrong and where, and trust the judge to sift thru it and see what happens. The guy that wrote the ticket isn't always right

CDL100 Thanks this.
  6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    simple, lawyer up! don't take advise from highway part time lawyers. it will cost but maybe the smart way to go!

CDL100 Thanks this.
  7. sphlaxter

sphlaxter Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2016
    What were you cited for? You would not get cited for having a 60K lbs apportioned plate on a truck rated at 48K lbs. All that means is that you paid too much $$$ to secretary of state for your plate.

Also, what agency cited you? Do you have an MCL code from your citation?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.