Michigan overweight.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by thejackal, Apr 7, 2016.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    These days with the roads and bridges in the poor shape their in(especially in Michigan) they're not ****ing around with these axle weights anymore. I've had to go thru scalehouses BOBTAILING-that tells you everything you need to know folks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    ...so you were 29k on the rear axle and 4k on the front because of a KNOWN defect, and you DIDN'T expect to get a ticket for that? You do realize that your tires definitely weren't rated for that kind of weight, the axles/brakes/bearings probably weren't either. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were put OOS until either the defect was repaired or your weight reduced.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  4. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Known to who? And no kiddin about the ratings. I pulled that trl for two days with no issues, if the defect happened it was in travel, not while stationary. And I did call the company etc and unloaded half, went on my way.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    You're the one who brought up the trailer defect and noted it as the cause of the over-axle situation.
    ...and it seems to me you should have spotted the defect during any of the vehicle inspections you SHOULD have performed during the 2 days you were pulling it. Excessivley squatty tires on one axle would lead most to have a closer look...check air pressure...make sure airbags are inflated...simple little things like that which can easily be spotted even during the most casual walk-around. Heck, could've been as simple as a leveling valve rod popping off on one end, causing the airbags to deflate, and whichever way that caused the trailer to tip would cause that axle to be a little heavier. Whatever it was, as the driver, it's your baby. That's how the rules of this game are set up. YOU are the "captain" of your ship...and responsible for the safe & legal operation of that ship.

sphlaxter and dngrous_dime Thank this.
  6. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    This 'deffect' is usually caused by "load locks" aka rearmost axle support arms that lock the trailer suspension when you set up the trailer breakes. When they load the trailer with this defect heavy, you start moving but those locks won't release, instead pushing most of the weight to the rearmost axle. You may be lucky and they may release during driving on a bumpy road, but may not. This happened to me before and I got an OOS in Georgia for that. There is some kind of valve that is responsible for this. As for the driver it is easy to spot, bc the rearmost axle tires will look heavily overloaded/underinflated under a heavy load. Than you just need to see if these locks released (with trailer breakes off).

tommymonza and thejackal Thank this.
  7. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    there all kinds of axle weight 10' spread axle is 20k. 8axle trailer is 13k per axle. it all base on axle weight and spacing know the laws you won't get caught then there are bridge laws for tandems. Bet you know steering axle weight. You might want to study a little.

8. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Thank you ... that was helpful.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    curious about what you were hauling and where you got the ticket?

OH and your trailer has air suspension?

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Try not to stereotype officers and I will try not to stereo type you.

91B20H8 and dngrous_dime Thank this.
  11. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    He said he was in Michigan and he got nailed at a DOT scale house.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.