Mid Life Career Change

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Miles Ohio, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Miles Ohio

Miles Ohio Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    Hi all,

Getting ready to go to CDL school here in Ohio. I've had my own computer business for a long time but the work is just not there any more, so it's time for a change of scenery. Would be nice to have benefits again too.

I do have about a year's experience from when I lived in CA - went to truck school in 1985 and got my license. A guy I was working for as a retail store manager in 1986-1987 had a couple of trucks leased to an intermodal company in Oakland, so I hauled containers out of the docks for a while.

I drove a 1978 White-Freightliner 10 speed cab-over, no sleeper (was all local around the Bay Area), no A/C, if it had seatbelts they were well hidden and probably rusted shut. I have fond memories of that beast. Didn't make a lot of money, but did get a lot of reading done waiting for the stevedores to drop the box on my chassis. After my boss went broke I found myself doing computer work and been there ever since.

A year's experience nearly 30 years ago doesn't seem to have any value today, not surprising. So, I am for all intents and purposes a total beginner. At least I will be a little ahead of the curve at CDL school. I can probably still dock a trailer.

I remember being told at truck school, "You're not a real trucker until you can drive, drink coffee, talk on the CB, and fondle your hitchhiker all at the same time". Times have sure changed.. I am glad to see a much greater emphasis on safety and actually keeping to the HOS limits.

Looking forward to the new adventure!

Cottonmouth85 and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good luck to you.

Miles Ohio Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    All right!!!!!
    Choose a good company; lots of good one hire Ohio drivers.

5. Miles Ohio

Jun 5, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    I finished school last week, passed my test and now have a brand new CDL.

I have offers from four companies - apparently a driver (even a freshly hatched one) with a completely clean driving and criminal record is a rare commodity these days. I expect to make a choice shortly.

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my posts and sent me PMs with helpful advice and information. There are too many of you to list, this is a great forum!

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Should have offers for a couple dozen companies. Lots to choose from. Let us know when you make a decision. Best wishes.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Now it's drive, drink a latte, talk on your smart phone & fondle yourself!

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient

9. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Congratulations!!!

Miles Ohio Thanks this.
  10. Miles Ohio

Jun 5, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks! I have offers from 100% of the companies I actually applied to :) I need to be home at least two days a week so that limited my choices, but still found plenty of good ones to choose from.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.