Midwest Coast Transport (MCT) - Sioux Falls, SD

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by hyspdchiknfeed, Nov 23, 2008.

1. rufus6306

rufus6306 Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I am currently thinking about attending their trainning in Jan any recomendations

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Maverick

Maverick Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Florida
    From what I have seen on this site and others, MCT is one of the best co.'s out there.
    I first heard about MCT when I hauled swingin' out of Great Plains Beef in Council Bluffs, Iowa in the '70's.
    I was working for an O/O leased to a rag-tag company out of Manchester, NH. Myself and many others would spend a week or two sitting in Iowa waiting for a load back east. It got so bad that four of the drivers were about to lose their trucks because they were 2 months behind on their payments because the aforementioned company kept them sitting so much.
    All 4 of them went to MCT! MCT advanced them enough to catch up on their payments and put them to work. I have lost touch with them, but am pretty sure they stayed a long time.
    My owner would not switch to MCT, and eventually lost his truck, and almost lost his house. Fortunately, I moved on when I got down to my last shirt.
    I guess what I am saying is, MCT has always been a good company, and is one that I am trying to get on with now.
    There are some issues that I need to address first, but I may end up with them.
    Maverick:biggrin_2552:

4. 57104 - Ya Heard!

57104 - Ya Heard! Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    JPT, who are you with now? I'm going to start class with MCT (2nd time, 1st was 13 years ago. :)) at the end of this month. Back then we didn’t need to commit to 1 year or pay up on the training.

I'm nervous but ready to give it another go.

With the trainer .12 for every team mile for 5-6 weeks. (Around $2200 gross per mo.)

Then .28cmp for who knows how long...vague at best.” It varies"
    (Around $2700-$2800 gross. per mo.)

Anything over 12k miles per month for solo run pays .29 cmp for all miles in that month.($3300-$3400 gross.)

I figured not bad for paying your first year dues.

Would like to eventually go owner operator...someday. But as I have learned in the past; all that glitters....

Don’t suppose you be around the house this weekend, I’d love to pick your brain for and hour or so.

Geno :)

5. jpt5617

jpt5617 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Waukee, Ia
    I currently work for TBI which is right beind MCT and I like it here, the pay is good and I'm home every week so I cant complain. You can call me if you want anytime my number is and I will answer any questions you have about coast

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
  6. steelersfan

steelersfan Medium Load Member

May 9, 2009
    BRIDGEWATER, NJ
    OMG you posted your # in the forum, what is wrong with you? Take that out of here. You will have every whiney ##### driver looking for a job calling you. LOL unless you are looking for referal bonuses.

7. 57104 - Ya Heard!

Jun 10, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thank you very much! I'll give you a call sometime Saturday afternoon. Mine is

Geno :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
  8. 57104 - Ya Heard!

Jun 10, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    JPT, thanks for your time this past Saturday, it was much appreciated.

9. d.mann

d.mann Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2007
    near Denver/CO
    I can agree with hyspdchiknfeed and others,
    MCT is a decent company who treats one just fair and you can walk in at any time and talk to the ops or whom ever. I was driving for them for 13 months (2008 and 2009) and I clocked 140k miles.
    Now here's my experience with A,M&S one of the lease owners tho:
    I had a cat with me in the truck and to be allowed to do so, I had to put down a deposit of $300 to A,M&S. Not a problem there. I recently quit because i moved to the east coast. Now I was asking if I can have the $300 back (not even asking for interest and the kitten did no damage at all). The answer was "no - the truck smells like cat and we need to have it detailed for $500"
    First of all - cats don't smell at all. If mine would have smelled, I would have been the first person who would have taken care of that smell. I was known for having it clean and neat inside the cab. Second - A,M&S' very last concern would be a non detailed inside of a truck. I remember for example being offered a truck where a team of heavy smokers where the former inhabitants. Not only smelled that truck like an old ashtray, it also had a sticky layer of tar/condensate in the door frame (I started to clean that myself, I later gave up on that endeavor and did not wanted that truck). Third - Let's assume for a second A,M&S would actually care about giving a new driver a freshly detailed truck, I bet everything, they would not spend additional $200 on such an item.

Another issue that made my experience with A,M&S an unpleasant one, is the following:
    I had a lots of equipment such as stereo, sirius satellite radio, cooler, power inverter, laptop stand etc in the truck installed. My idea was to leave that equipment in the truck to see if a new driver (in that truck) might wanna keep some of that stuff since it was already installed and wired. The items he (the new driver) would not have wanted, i would have taken out (the next time the truck/driver would have been in my new hometown area). When I was about to quit/move, I talked to the (lease) owner Matt Hedge and he agreed on that venture. Now the last statement when I called them is basically: "it's too much of an hassle for us" and too much I'm asking for. If had know that beforehand, I would have taken the stuff with me. The sum for all the stuff I payed last year when it was new, was roughly $1000. My idea was to ask a new driver for half off it (of course minus the stuff he would not have taken).
    Anyway - I feel ripped off by at least $800.

Another thing you might wanna know, A, M & S runs the oldest trucks at MCT. Mine for example was a 2001 freighliner with 1.400.000 miles on it. Their mechanic is a pretty good one (plus he's a nice guy) but still, 8yo trucks you don't really wanna drive as a company driver.

So, stay away from A, M & S Trucks Inc. with headquarters in Tracy, Minnesota and a shop in Brandon, South Dakota.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  10. Stagger

Stagger Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2007
    MN
    I agree with your assement of MCT but wow your experience with A,M,&S trucks was alot different than mine.

Drove for them in 99 and 2000 - was assigned a 99 FLD with about 45,000 miles on it, had never had any pets or smokers in it.

A,M,&S Trucks was a very highly regarded operation and I can't say anything bad about them. Got plenty of miles and was paid probably better then, than many start at today.

Only reason I left was because we were having trouble with a teenage daughter at the time and my wife wanted me home to help with her.

d.mann there is no way I would leave that much equipment in a truck and hope to catch up with the next driver to get paid for it or get it back....that was bad judgement on your part.

I suppose things could have really went down hill at A,M,&S Trucks, but I only have good things to say about them based on my experience with them.

11. BLK

BLK Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2009
    SD
    First of all this is my first post and I am sorry to bump an old thread. But I have learned to search rather than make a new topic from other forums.

Reading this post makes me feel a lot better about going with MCT. I live in Sioux Falls, SD and have thought about paying Southeast but have since found this company. I will probably go MCT after seeing this thread.

I am currently in a career that is way different then trucking and have been going back and forth for months now. It seems to me that MCT does a very good job teaching someone without a CDL.

After Christmas and the New Year I will most likely apply. I will dang near be maxed PTO at my current job so I will be able to go the three weeks without any pay.

Thanks I am so excited now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.