Midwest Coast Transport (MCT) - Sioux Falls, SD

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by hyspdchiknfeed, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Professional Scale Dodger

Professional Scale Dodger Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Canton, South Dakota :)
    They have quite a bit of loads going to PA you could be back more often then you think because a lot of people don't really care to run out there, me being one of them. I loved the west coast runs and they would always do their best to head me that way. Sure the truck needs to make money, and yes there are loads they want covered based on certain profits one load pays vs. another, after all it's a business. But if you let your dispatcher know what you like doing they will always keep it in mind. Be nice and you'll get further. Always was paid, Always got home with a 3-5 day notice. They did well by me. Pay is low and is up to the Owner of the truck, but keep in mind that MCT does not pay the best to the truck, so their hands are a bit tied on what in turn they can pay you to drive it. They believe in safety and you will need to run as such or else you'll be gone. Play by the rules and get your year in and look for a little more money but only if the next company does what they say they will.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    Buzzard, BP Transportation in Peru IL is a small fleet leased to MCT. They hire recent grads and they have regional and otr runs. Mostly autoshift volvo trucks. Seems like a nice little outfit to work for. Hope this helps

Buzzard and trucker43 Thank this.
  4. Swaps

Swaps Heavy Load Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Minnesota
    Wow, there are a lot more Coast drivers on this forum then I thought!

I've been driving for Coast since June. I'm with AM&S out of Brandon.
    I like MCT. A real laid back company. Matt at AM&S is pretty laid back too.
    The pay isn't phenomenal, but I guess it's the price of not having to deal with all the BS that you can read about in other threads. Not too many people have problems with MCT. Like others have said, if you can't do it safely and legally, then dont do it. Besides pay, the only other real problem I have is the benefits they offer... Which are minimal. I would LOVE to have some health insurance. They do have insurance plans, but the driver has to pay for it.

trucker43 and 123456 Thank this.
  5. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    I tried for almost 1 month to get on with a fleet owner out of Ottumwa. He was very laid back. The only problem, could never get a return phone call from the recruitter at MCT, even after talking to another recruitter and he sent her a msg that I was trying to find out about my application. Also would not even return e-mails. After 1 month, gave up. Called the fleet owner and even he could not find out. It would have been a perfect match because he had a regular customer 26 miles from my home.

Glad that all is going well with yours.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  6. gregbo

gregbo Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Cherry Valley IL
    I just got hired by BPT with MCT after 6 months with an evil starter company. Getting an .07 cpm raise along with short run pay, dock pay etc. and guaranteed minimum 48 hours/week hometime. I was still a little apprehensive til I found this thread. Thanks to the posters. Good bye Werner.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  7. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD

Good luck gregbo, after Werner it should be a new lease on life.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  8. gregbo

gregbo Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Cherry Valley IL
    Thanks for the comment and you really nailed it. Been with BPT/MCT for a month now and I definitely made the right decision leaving Werner. I'm happy with the miles and pay, considering I work a 5 day week. Could get more miles if I wanted to stay out but I'd rather be home on the weekends. Drop and hook percentage is as good or better than Werner. I'm making more money in 5 days at BPT than I made in 6 at Werner and I sleep in my own bed 3 nights a week. Some weeks I leave the truck in Peru and drive my car home, sometimes I take the truck home, depending on on the trip. The dispatcher Steve so far has been great. Never harrasses me or runs me harder than I want to run. Most of the trailers are in good shape with air tandems which makes life easier. Empties can be hard to find sometimes but nothing like Werner where I'd spend half my day sometimes looking for one at no pay. If you have a problem they will fix it and not leave you hanging for long. Everybody at the terminal is friendly and willing to help you out when you need something. I'm still learning their system; paper logs (actually prefer them), running reefers (don't fear the reefer), and dealing with the customers (the Kraft in Champaign is a real craphole but otherwise no major problems). I'm not thrilled with the automatic transmission in the Volvo they put me in but I'm starting to like this old truck (822,000 miles as of last week). Much better ride than the brand new Cascadia I drove at Werner and hasn't let me down yet, like that pretty new Freightliner did.
    Overall this is a much better deal than I'd ever have gotten if I'd stayed with big blue. This is a real trucking business that seems to appreciate the drivers that deliver the freight and wants to retain the good ones unlike Werner, and I suspect the other big beginner companies, whose business model requires an endless stream of new drivers to replace the ones they've burned out and thrown away. They're still looking for drivers as far as I know. If you live anywhere near Peru IL give them a call.

Dryver and trucker43 Thank this.
  9. 03pete379

03pete379 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Ottumwa, IA
    I've been with MCT/Hite since March, I'm just the local relay driver. Home every night, top of the line equipment and decent pay. No complaints here. I had 1 month in the truck when MCT/Hite hired me. My first driving job was in a "pumpkin". To put it nicely, it sucked. Needless to say I'm very grateful for what I have now. I wouldn't hesitate referring a driver to MCT.

Dryver and trucker43 Thank this.
  10. ORBorn

ORBorn Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Edmonds, WA
    Just came across this thread for the first time...Thought I might add some more perspective of MCT.

I went thru their driving school back in January '11. I did a lot of research about getting into the industry and found very little bad things mentioned about MCT. I took this as a good thing..."no news is good news" I suppose. So I packed up and moved out from the NW out to Sioux Falls.

School itself was fine...nothing unexpected. I won't mention his name, but anyone who has gone thru MCT's school in the last 15 years knows who I'm talking about. Great old school instructor. He DOESN'T sugarcoat anything. Great driving instructor tho. He might get u flustered a little bit, but just blow it off. He just acts mean, but he's easy to BS with. After about 3 weeks, you get placed with an O/O and do 10K with a trainer. First 5K is u driving only, the 2nd 5K is team. After that, you do you're first seat test, then you're on your way.

I'm on driving with AM&S, an O/O outta Brandon, SD. Really haven't had any complaints with my boss. Any issues that come up, he's all about making it right. I've been stuck up in PA a couple times waiting for a load. One phone call to him though and I got something within an hour. He runs slightly older Freightliners for the most part.

I normally can get about just about 3000 miles/wk doing 48 states. There are regional drivers who do more on average tho.

Only issue I have is not much going up in to the NW. MCT has plenty of stuff going up in to the NE, but very little NW. Can't really complain though, I knew this going in.

Never have had an issue with my fleet manager, safety, or anyone else at corporate MCT. They want u running only legally. If the the weather is piss poor or ur fatigued and u don't feel u can safely drive, they won't make u.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with my choice getting into this business.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  11. "The Prophet"

"The Prophet" Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Aiken, SC
    How are you LadyTrucker2go? How's the driving now?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.