Mileage - Paid vs Actual?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckerVinny, May 23, 2016.

1. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    What is the general rule of thumb here?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. amiller

amiller Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Zip to zip on mileage pay

4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    On average you drive 5-10% more than you get paid, some carriers pay practical miles do you only lose 3-5%, a few carriers actually pay on the hub.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Depends on the company you go with. Hub miles Vs paid miles can be anywhere from 2-8% difference depending on the system they use. My company - I'm usually around 4% more on hub then paid, but sometimes I'll get paid more then I actually drive.

I'd say at the typical starter company today you can figure hub'g about 5% more then you're paid for on average. Very few still use the old "HHG" system which raped drivers every trip.

6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Stop worrying about mileage, and focus on the money. When you evaluate a potential employer, call them on the carpet and make them tell you what you can expect to earn in your first and second years with them. Tell them that should you accept an offer of employment and you make yourself available for your full 70/8 HOS availability, if the first year figure they quoted you doesn't match what you actually earn, then they can expect to not be utilizing your valuable services for the second year.

Friday Thanks this.
  7. TruckerVinny

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    I am focused on money. I want to get a feel for other situations than my own. Being in my first year and first job I only know one way of pay, which hasn't been bad and yes in the ballpark of expectations. However it is partially derived from mileage. Mileage that is being calculated differently than hub. Frustrating to endure on the daily.

8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    FWIW, my first job was 1099, and paid me 25% of gross paid to the truck. Plus, I kept 100% of the lumper fees if I was able to unload the truck myself. Worked out to around $.60/mile on average.

After 1.5 years at that job, I moved on to a local / regional position with a company that pays a base rate per mile. Each route pays on miles slightly less than hub miles, but with all accessorial pay considered, ends up paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $1/mile. Don't focus on rate per mile, or hub/practical/HHG. Get the big picture.

Oh, and did I mention that I drive a day cab, and am home nights and weekends unless I choose not to be?

9. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    That's a good attitude. However you realize most companies don't care. If they can fill that seat for a year, their happy.

10. TruckerVinny

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    End of the day it's what comes home to mama, I got that. I get mileage plus other pay lines. I'm home everyday as well. I stay out about once a week by choice to sleep for my whole ten hour. I'm not making $1/ml or I'd be on track for 115k year. First year, that would be aesome! Just wondering about what the rest of the industry has to offer.

11. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    No company comes up with a way to pay you the most. They all pay as little as possible. I am betting that because of GPS someone is going to file a class action suit against the industry and some lawyer is going to make a lot of money out of it. Basically we do not get paid to drive in the city. When we work hardest we are paid the least.

They use GPS to dispatch you but pay based on the lease possible miles.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.