Miles question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ridealongwifeofdriver, Aug 25, 2016.

1. ridealongwifeofdriver

ridealongwifeofdriver Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    My husband drives a log truck his miles are 160 one way and 160 back to his starting point does he need a log book cause his company says he don't

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    ridealongwifeofdriver Thanks this.
  4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    He may or may not. The company is using the 100 air mile exemption and there are several items that could come into play. 1st would be if the truck is traveling less that a 100 air miles one way. A 160 road miles might just make it for 100 air miles. If 1 foot over then there must be a log. When they say air miles it's a straight as an arrow goes. 2, does he report back at the terminal within 12 hours? If he takes longer than 12 hours to finish his shift then he needs a log book. He must have 10 consecutive hours off duty before returning to work. The company must maintain and retain for a period of 6 months the record of the driver for time the driver reports to work. The total number of hours the driver is on duty each day. The time the driver is released from duty each day. The total time for the preceding 7 days.

Just remember that he must show his hours for the past 7 days. Where I worked sometimes we would run more than 100 air miles and have to have a log. Then we would be back to 100 air miles. So our book would read like past 7 days local or a daily log sheet.

dca, ridealongwifeofdriver and Friday Thank this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    100 air mile exemption means you operate inside a 100 air mile radius, stick a pin in the shop and draw a circle out 114.6 statute miles in a straight line,

as long as you meet the rest of the requirements you can drive as many miles as possible INSUIDE the circle.

6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    In my case, I can can drive 260 miles one way and still be inside the 100 air mile radius.

He still needs to do an inspection report. And, as mentioned, someone still needs to keep a record of his start time and stop time, hours worked and hours worked for the last 7 days IIRC.

ridealongwifeofdriver Thanks this.
  7. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Rank I think it needs to be air miles.....not a combination of air&Nautical miles.....;)
    But I'm not certain

8. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    HAHAHA you sound like the DOT 'olhand. "Are you telling me there is no air over water, Officer? I'll see you in court"

9. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Go ahead and get technical w/me driver.....you'll be outta hours fore Im finished with this level one!....

dca, wore out and rank Thank this.
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    "I fight authority, but authority always wins" I often bang my head trying to squeeze through loopholes. Sigh.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.