Military Retiree Question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by majorbanjo, May 5, 2016.

1. majorbanjo

majorbanjo Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Lumpkin, GA
    If I go with a company that provides healthcare coverage and I already have TRICARE prime and opt out...do I get paid more?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Nope!

4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    You will only save whatever the cost of the insurance would have been.

majorbanjo Thanks this.
  5. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Nope

6. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    You don't get paid more, you just don't pay for insurance. So you won't have the cost of healthcare taken out. Now when I was a controller it was a bit different. Because I had a job that paid for full healthcare on top of our hourly wage the put that money in my 401k so although I never saw it I was in fact getting paid more. Some truck companies may be set up similar.

majorbanjo Thanks this.
  7. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    If you run for small company, they might give you an extra 1 or 2 cpm if you ask.

majorbanjo Thanks this.
  8. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It depends on the company. Years ago when I first started the Navy was on a 4 day work week so every Fri, Sat, and Sun we had off. I went and got an OTR job that would get me back every Monday morning. The pay was 10½ a mile for regular drivers and I got 12½ because I had no benefits. It's worth bringing it up when you get hired.

majorbanjo Thanks this.
  9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Well I can't tell you what any companies will or will not do, but I certainly can tell you why no company should be doing that.

First, you aren't the first person to try this. There are plenty of folks who get insurance elsewhere, whether it's the 25 year old on his parent's insurance, the guy fresh out of the military, or the guy who is on his baby momma's insurance through her work. Plenty of people not using the benefits at their job.

Now, if the company gives these people a higher pay because they aren't using the benefits, then the company will have a very hard time defending the position that they are not charging that extra amount to the folks who are using it. For example, if insurance costs 250 a month, but you are getting an extra 300 a month because the company isn't forking out their part for your insurance, then how is that any different than the company charging 550 a month for the insurance?

Up to a few years ago that might not have been a problem, but now with the Obamacare laws, if someone can make the case to the IRS that the company is charging 550 a month for insurance to a guy making 4000 a month, after certifying to the IRS that they are charging less than 10 per cent of that person's income for said insurance, that company could be in some very hot water.

majorbanjo Thanks this.
  10. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Mail carriers will pay more. Around my area, MTI pays around $21, and if you opt out, you get paid around $26. I think it's the same with Salson and Eagle. That's why you'll see a lot of military vets hauling mail for contract carriers , because they don't have to worry about benefits.

majorbanjo and ExOTR Thank this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    If you do get it just keep your mouth shut. Your pay is nobody's business and it stops the others from crying.

majorbanjo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.