Milk delivery (non bulk)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by AWolf34, Apr 28, 2016.

1. AWolf34

AWolf34 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2016
    So, I've been researching the trucking industry for a very long time now. It's something I've always wanted to do since I was a little kid. After busting my ### at dead end jobs, i feel it's finally time to follow my heart. Just as I was about to hand over $4000 for truck driving school, my friends boss called me and offered me a spot. I'd get my permit and ride along with someone on a route until i felt comfortable to take the test for my CDL. All paid for. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with milk delivery and can tell me a little bit about the job. Pros, cons, stress level, easy to learn? Any info will help. I recently got married to my high school sweetheart of 10 years and bought a house, so I'm just trying to be careful. I'll be working some long days starting at around 3am, but I'll have weekends off which is a big bonus to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Eager Driver here's a success story, but not everyone is so fortunate.

It has it's drawbacks though such as ruining the back. One reefer outfit I worked for, we got lots of drivers from the beverage companies because they burned out with bad backs and bad health at an early age. They still were too young to retire, 30ish or so, and had to look for companies with driver no-touch freight.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  4. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Around my area, there's no shortage of milk delivery jobs, but it's back breaking work, and I do mean BACK BREAKING, literally. A lot of the local route delivery drivers don't last too long and wind up having back problems from dragging milk crates with a hook to supermarkets and convenience stores. I would consider it just as tough, if not tougher than foodservice. Job pays pretty good. Long hours, 3am start sounds about right.

Over in the NE, companies like Lehigh Valley, Dean Foods, Rosenberger, HP Hood, Penn Maid, Cream O Land, etc., are all pretty much union. Route delivery drivers get paid around $24-25 an hour, and make around $80k a year. Tanker drivers make about $18 an hour.

I would really THINK about doing milk delivery, because it's not an easy job, and like I mentioned before, a lot of drivers wind up having back problems eventually.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Milk deliveries in a "Route" type environment are back breaking, but some facilities run only palletized deliveries to grocery stores. Dean Foods in my area is an example - the tractor trailer guys don't handle anything except MT crates. The straight truck guys, well, that's another story!

Big Don and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. AWolf34

AWolf34 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Thanks for the input guys! I'm used to hard physical labor. Worked at a dealership changing tires and doing tire rotations all day for about 7 years, then I tried out the electrical field as an apprentice and did nothing but shoveled dirt for 7 months. I'm 5'7" 150 pounds and in pretty decent shape. I like to work hard and play harder. I'm now a service adviser and I can't really say I enjoy listening to people whine and complain all day as they try getting stuff for free. How many stops per day is average and how long does each stop take?

7. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    Go for it, Yolo son

AWolf34 Thanks this.
  8. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    The Country Fresh guy on my route is a freaking tweaker, man. Looks and runs like got a firecracker up his butt. Funny dude tho, he's tractor trailer 38 ft, bumps docks, yanks pallets, also ramps and wheels and uses that goofy dairy man hook.

He's been there 12 years makes around 80k. Don't walk like Frankenstein either lol.

Mike2633 and AWolf34 Thank this.
  9. MidWester

MidWester Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    I talk to the milk guy on route a lot. Stops can be 10 minutes to maybe a hour or so depending on how much your bringing in and taking out. He gets paid real good and has good benefits but his hours suck. He works from 11pm until anywhere from 8am to noon. Good job of your up for the schedule.

10. AWolf34

AWolf34 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Well... I took the job! Found out the owner is a really good family friend of ours haha. My stress level just dropped from 150% to 20%. My friend also works there and his dad is a driver with the highest seniority, so I know I'll be taken care of and trained properly. God truely does answer prayers. I'm very excited to get my first real career started. Thanks again everyone!

macavoy, Mike2633, Pintlehook and 2 others Thank this.
  11. MidWester

MidWester Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Congrats on the new gig!

AWolf34 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.