Millis guys, i have some questions please....

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Leather Helmet, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Leather Helmet

Leather Helmet Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Charlotte North Carolina
    So far with my "new guy" posts on here, I have received awesome feedback from what seem to be some pretty awesome folks. Anyway, been pretty much glued on here since last week reading posts and trying to decide what to do/what school to go to, or just go to local school(if funding comes available) and hire on from there.

Most good feedback lists Millis as a possibility, and as I am in Charlotte area, school in Eden within short driving distance is looking good as a better possibility than most.
    First, any surprises anyone had with signing on with Millis for training, then hiring on? Good training/trainers when going on the road? Decent home time first year?
    Or just any helpful information you may have to give to me or anyone else reading these threads, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance.....

Ga Dawg141 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Leather Helmet Thanks this.
  4. WalterSobchak

WalterSobchak Medium Load Member

May 16, 2014
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Im not sure what you already know about the company. I have found this section to be VERY informative though. If you are looking to make this move soon, I may see you in Eden. I was originally supposed to start training in December but their last class of the year starts next week and the next one after won't be until January.

5. Leather Helmet

Nov 1, 2014
    Charlotte North Carolina
    Yeah me too man. I have to get my permit I guess anyway before I pull the trigger either way. Still contemplating options yet though...

6. RoadCall

RoadCall Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Millis from everything I've always heard is a good company. I have no idea what the terms are with you going to their school but I can say they would be a great place to start. Much better than any of the typical mega carriers. Good luck

7. Leather Helmet

Nov 1, 2014
    Charlotte North Carolina
    Just got the call from Millis recruiter, terms seem ok, but first couple months pay seems awful low, barely minimum wage?

8. WalterSobchak

WalterSobchak Medium Load Member

May 16, 2014
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Consider it paying your dues to get in the industry. Millis considers your time OTR training to be part of your learning experience, like attending the school which doesn't pay anything. After you get out solo, you will get $.36 per mile which is a lot better than many other large carriers who hire noobies.

9. TheyCallMeTaterSalad

TheyCallMeTaterSalad Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2013
    New York State
    Hope this helps,

Surprises - None on my side of things. Ive been here about 1 yr and 3 months. They have done everything they said they were gonna do.

Trainers / Training - Everywhere you go there are going to always be the "good" trainers and the "Bad" trainers. I would like to say that most of the trainers here at Millis are doing it more to teach the "new guys" and give them a good base of knowledge before they get out on there own. And then there are also some that are doing it for the extra money Millis pays them for being a trainer.

Hometime - Hometime depends on your dispatcher and the loads that they have at the moment. They do try very hard to make sure that you are home when you want to be. But one thing ill tell ya is if you put in to be home on Friday at 1500, just be happy to be home on Friday. Some times it might be Sat morning and then again sometimes it will be on Thursday. It all depends on the loads. Sometimes they will have you take a load home and deliver it on Monday/Tuesday. They have done that with me before. Its more of a promise then a guarantee. For example, i'm at home now, was suppose to be home Friday but they got me home a day early. and to me that's not a problem. I will say that they do try, but sometimes things don't work out as planned.

Pay - As it says on the website, Millis has different pay plans. If you do opt for the per diem then yes you do get less per mile up front, but it also comes with some other benefits. Me, i'm on the per diem because i wanted the weeks of vacation. i got 3 my first year here. If you opt to not do the per diem, then you only get 1. So really the choice is yours as far as pay goes. Look at the charts on the website, they will help you out. Everyone's situation is different as far as pay goes so i cannot tell you what is going to work best for you. Just as an example, im on per diem and im looking to clear somewhere near 50k my first year. give or take a little. For me that isnt bad from what i came from. As far as the training pay goes, yeah it does suck but its better then no pay at all. No pay when your in school, and then so much per day as long as you drive at least 4 hours while with your trainer. Its a little something but not much. (Per diem will bring you home more pay while with your trainer due to so much of it being non taxed). As far as this goes
    It will depend on which pay plan you chose to if you get .36 starting out. The .36 is if you take the non per diem HHG plan. If you take the per diem HHG, you will start at .31 Like i said before, look at the different pay plans on the Millis website.

As far as going somewhere else for "School" and then coming and hiring on to millis you will have to do 1 year OTR first. They wont just hire you out of someone elses school with no EXP. If you do go that route they will make you go through the MTI program anyways due to not having any EXP, so you might just as well come here.

Good luck with your choice. I can say that i don't regret coming to Millis for schooling and working here. Its a great place to come and get some EXP.

10. Leather Helmet

Nov 1, 2014
    Charlotte North Carolina
    Thanks man, cool screen name you have there...

11. TheyCallMeTaterSalad

TheyCallMeTaterSalad Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2013
    New York State
    Thanks. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.