Millis Training Diary - August 24th Class - Trenton, OH

Discussion in 'Millis' started by MidTennTrucker, Aug 19, 2015.

1. MidTennTrucker

MidTennTrucker Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Hey everyone. I am creating this thread to share my training experience with Millis. I will be starting training on Monday, August 24th at the Trenton, OH facility.

A bit of background. I am 44 years old and driving a truck is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid. I have been sitting in a cubicle the last 2 years doing accounting for a healthcare company. I was miserable, so I finally decided to do something about fulfilling my childhood dream. I did tons of research and ended up applying to a few companies that offer in house CDL training. I chose Millis based on many factors and I am looking forward to getting started.

I will say that the application process has been extremely easy. I submitted my application through the Millis website a few weeks ago. I got a call from Raychel in recruiting within 45 minutes after submitting my application. She verified my employment the same day, and offered me a spot in a training class. She is terrific to work with, has made things very easy, and has answered all my silly questions. I live near Nashville, TN so the Cartersville terminal is actually closer to me, but the training dates didn't quite work out. I chose to go to Ohio (It is only about a 5 hour drive), because I needed a couple of extra weeks to get everything in order before I embark on this journey.

Anyway, I will be heading to Trenton on Sunday. I will try to update this thread as much as I can regarding my training experience.

DRAGON64 and Lonesome Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Good luck with Millis...according to the chatter on these boards they are supposed to be one of the better companies out there to train with AND drive for.

One thing that bothers me (and I see it on here a lot), if "Trucking" was a childhood dream...how is it you have been an adult for 26 years, and legally capable of operating Interstate for 23 years; but just now looking to "fulfill your childhood dream"? Not picking on you...just that I read it so often, and it has always confused me.

4. MidTennTrucker

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    It's a good question. The honest answer is that life just always got in the way. I graduated from college, got married at 25 and started having kids. When my kids were young I didn't want to be gone all the time, so I never pursued trucking although I was always fascinated by it. Now that my kids are older and are much more capable of handling me being on the road, I decided to go for it.

DRAGON64 and Kev's Sunshine Thank this.
  5. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Thank you...makes perfect sense. Nobody has ever answered that for me.
    My kids were WAY young when I started...and it was VERY difficult on them and me (there were times I would walk out of a truck stop with tears rolling down my cheek after talking to my crying kids on a pay phone).
    I completely understand.

6. oneroad

oneroad Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2015
    WILLIAMSBURG,ky
    millis is a awesome company, worked there for 2 years and left for a local job, dispachers are great( especially jim wa). great trucks, good miles. you couldn't go wrong.

MidTennTrucker Thanks this.
  7. MidTennTrucker

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I definitely don't think any of us could have handled me being gone all the time when they were young. I'm sure I would have been in the same boat. There would have been a lot of tears.

8. MidTennTrucker

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks. I am glad to hear another good report on Millis. These reasons you gave were a big part of my decision.

9. Todd270z

Todd270z Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2015
    What kind of miles are drivers getting at Millis now OTR? And, do they ever get out west - Ca, Wa, Nv, Ut, Or, Id?

10. MidTennTrucker

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    From everything I have been seeing, they are getting 2500 - 3000 miles a week or more. They will run you as hard as you want to run. They rarely go out west. They usually stay east of I-35.

Todd270z Thanks this.
  11. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Good luck! Hopefully Bill the instructor will get Lee's chicken on Wednesday. Good stuff.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.