Millis Training Diary - August 24th Class - Trenton, OH

Discussion in 'Millis' started by MidTennTrucker, Aug 19, 2015.

1. MidTennTrucker

MidTennTrucker Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks. I hope so too. Been looking forward to it:)

SHOJim Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nicknack

nicknack Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    Millis is a good company to get started with, was there almost 3 years they will run you as long as you have the hours to run, in the time I was there I can count on one hand the times I didn't have a load available or got stuck sitting for a reset.

MidTennTrucker Thanks this.
  4. MidTennTrucker

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Glad to hear another good report about Millis.

Made it to the Days Inn in Middletown. Ready to get started in the morning. Updates to come.

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  5. MidTennTrucker

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Day 1 of training is in the books. We have 4 guys in my class including me. We were supposed to have 6, but one didn't show up and the other rescheduled for next month.

Bill, the instructor in Trenton, is a super nice guy. He has a ton of experience and a ton of stories. Today was spent mostly on paperwork. We got to go out to the yard and look in 2 of the trucks we will be using for training. At the end of the day we started going over hours of service and logbooks. Another day in the classroom tomorrow and then the Millis 500 on Wednesday. Since there are only 4 in the class, we should all get quite a bit of driving time throughout the training. Even though it's only been one day, I am very happy with my decision to come to Millis. More to come tomorrow...

6. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Like Bill says: "Were the best not the rest!"

firemedic2816 and MidTennTrucker Thank this.
  7. MidTennTrucker

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Day 2 of training is done. Spent the entire day in the classroom going over hours of service, logbooks, and trip planning. Got quite a bit of homework for tonight. Today was chicken day. Went to lunch and had some of the best chicken I've ever eaten. Good stuff.

The fun begins tomorrow with the Millis 500. Should be a gear grinding good time.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  8. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well when I was there, I got the nick-name 5th gear.
    Forgot to put selector back and took off in 5th gear. Doh!

9. MidTennTrucker

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh, I'm sure we are all going to screw something up. I'm just gonna try not to run into anything.

10. MidTennTrucker

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Day 3 is done. Spent the entire day doing the Millis 500. Things went very well for all 4 of us. There was the usual grinding of gears and missed shifts for the first few minutes. After a while we were all getting the hang of upshifting and downshifting. Had a blast, but I am exhausted. We had 2 guys to a truck and we all got several hours of driving time. Off to do homework and get some sleep. More classroom tomorrow and then on to coupling/uncoupling and straight line backing on Friday. I am thoroughly enjoying myself so far.

Also, I have been talking to as many of the veteran drivers as possible as they come in and out of the terminal. Everyone seems very happy. Talked to a driver today who has been with the company for 10 years. He said he wouldn't go anywhere else.

JOHNQPUBLIC and SHOJim Thank this.
  11. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Glad things are going good for ya!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.