Minimum wage & trucking

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by skinnytrucker79, May 17, 2016.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Sounds good to me too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    All that matters is that YOU are happy in your choice of employment. I'll take my 80k/year home every day job (I get paid for everything I do) because it makes ME happy.

Some folks get upset because they perceive that a lesser paying position "drives down industry standards", which is true to a point (it's hard to compare driving positions, as some are apples to oranges), but as long as folks are content for working for peanuts the lesser companies will continue to fill seats and experience turnover.

In addition, most trucking jobs require more personal sacrifices than other types of employment.

Just my 2 cents.

4. skinnytrucker79

skinnytrucker79 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    How were the wages and turn over rates I would say pre 90s since that sound like the end of the "good days"

5. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    driving is no different than any other career. you won't start out making any money entry level with little to no experience/education. as with any other career, one must prove reliability and performance before eating cake. 99/100 times a driver is working for peanuts is bc of poor work history or just starting out. if you're willing to physically work you can quickly bump your year end gross wage. I see it like any other career. I've almost doubled my starting salary after holding a cdl for only 7 years. should I continue on this path I will clip 6 digits within the next 2 years. I'm 33 years old and will say first hand it was not easy to get here, but obviously worth it. too many ppl see a few guys making a killing in this industry and think it's much easier than it really is.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  6. warhoop

warhoop Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Toledo , Or.
    We are already seeing the affects of the min. wage hikes in the fast food joints. People are being replaced by electronic touch screen ordering kiosks. Don't ever expect trucking to pay an averaged min. wage because it will never happen. There are monumental efforts being made right now to bring these driverless truck into service as we speak, so, only a matter of time. As a side note, I wonder how easy it will be to stay awake monitoring a self driving truck while someone twiddles their thumbs riding along to "monitor" the trip.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.