modulation inconsistant

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by revmup, May 17, 2016.

1. revmup

revmup Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Recently ive noticed that sometimes my modulation will cut out and the person im talking to will only hear part of my conversation. It seems to come and go. Took radio to a shop, mic and radio checked out fine. Put new radio in the truck while the first one was in the shop and it worked good. Got the first radio back, hooked it up and it wouldn't modulate at all, put new radio back in, worked good, or so I thought, till I was in a conversation yesterday with a guy and he said it was cutting out from time to time. So both radios are acting the same. antenna looks good {Wilson 2000} Radios receive just fine. Just ordered new coax last night. Any other thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slim6596

slim6596 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Maybe get another antenna and try it while waiting on the coax?

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Try the mic, it may be a broken wire in the mic cord.

rabbiporkchop and Ougigoug Thank this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Power cord?
    Coaxial cable?
    Microphone?
    most likely microphone

6. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I always swap out mics first.

7. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    Quality control with mics is less than stellar. Had a galaxy that kept going into transmit mode. When I took the microphone( astatic636L) apart I found one of the wires had about 1/2" of the insulation coating extra stripped allowing it to make contact with another pin causing it to go in transmit on it's own. taped it up and it worked fine. So a poor solder joint or broken wire could be making intermittent contact. Were you using the same mike with both radios? If not maybe bad solder joint on one of the coax connectors.

8. revmup

revmup Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2016
    two different radios, one brand new, two different mics, same result. Has to be coax or antenna. New coax arrived today I'll replace it this weekend and see how it works.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.