More money than brains...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by MACK E-6, Jul 18, 2016.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I delivered an engine to a golf course today. Yes, I know. Sounds weird.

Well, here's why.

About two weeks ago, we had the American equivalent of a monsoon come through here, which left a lot of flooding. The mechanic at this place told me the owner happened across a flooded portion of the nearby state route, and instead of going around like someone halfway intelligent might've done, he decided he's going to get a running start and plow right through that mess.

The poor dummy's Mercedes didn't quite make it. He hydrolocked the engine, and snapped two connecting rods. The engine I took in there today was his replacement.

Some people have, well.... You guessed it. o_O

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    We had a huge storm last night, and the guy in the mansion up the road paid my son $20.00 to tarp the load of wood on his truck at 11 pm. He paid him $40.00 because he brought our own tarp because it was dry and folded from last winter!
    Reading the weather apps or even TWC on his TV would have rendered well! LoL. #########.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Well, I'm betting he won't be keeping that car very long once he gets it running again. A car that has been through a flood is just never "quite right," ever after, short of a complete tear down and rebuild. And I do mean COMPLETE. Electrical, fabric the whole thing. Cheaper to junk it and buy a new one...

Mike2633, G13Tomcat and bzinger Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    100's of cars from New Orleans hurricane Katrina ended up on used car lots in South America. People down there really had problems real quickly.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Mike2633, Big Don and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    You should see the cars in Mexico. Tons of guys on the us side of the border buy flooded lemons and other salvage titled junk and do a Mickey mouse job fixing it and sell it with a clean Mexican title in mexico

passingthru69, Mike2633 and Big Don Thank this.
  7. BigPerm

BigPerm Medium Load Member

Saw the exact same thing happen in a newer 360Z. Low intake, fast speed, bad things.

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    @Chinatown and @duckdiver: I am aware of what both of you posted, and like so many other things in the world, "it just ain't right." The only mitigating thing with those cars is that once they get them down there, they can jerk all of the extemporaneous crap off of them. So their "rebuild" such as it is, will be a hell of a lot cheaper than ours is. But it still doesn't change the fact that those cars will never be "right."
    But somehow they seem to make do.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.