Moving a semi

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Thecarte1, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Thecarte1

Thecarte1 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Pitman, NJ
    Hey everyone,

I own a Hotshot trucking business. I see offers to move semis from seller to buyer a lot. I was wondering what the rules would be as far as disconnecting my truck and placing on my trailer and pulling it with the intransit truck. Also would I be able to haul loads with the temporary truck hooked to the trailer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    Have you called your insurance company and seen what they have to say about this?

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    What you're essentially talking about doing is "drive away" service where the vehicle itself being transported is on the ground turning wheels under it's own power. I would do some searching on that for more details how that works but I know there are many decent sized company's that specialize in this niche. Driver's generally either tow a small fuel sipper car behind the delivered rig or just hoof it back to wherever they need to go once the delivery is made using any way they can (bus, plane, train, whatever.) I could see some major liability issues especially if the driven truck is not a brand new and very reliable vehicle. If it breaks in-transit who's problem is that for instance?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.