Moving from CB to ham

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by ladyfire, Aug 2, 2015.

1. ladyfire

ladyfire Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I just got my General license.
    Looking for advice on a good radio to use in the truck.
    Hoping to engage a few of the hams I know are on this forum!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    I used to run a icom 706 mk2g. It did well but after I took it out of the truck it failed. I sent it to the Icom authorized repair shop they got it up and running cheaply. Said along with 1 part that failed the other repairs were connections that were a bit loose. Since I run NYC twice a week I've been reluctant to install it in this truck due to the constant pounding the truck takes up here. Did see a fellow with a mirror mounted screwdriver antenna awhile back but he was gone before I got a chance to ask how that worked out.

ladyfire Thanks this.
  4. aimhigh

aimhigh Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    TX /USA - Germany -China
    Hi ladyfire: Congratulations for upgrading to your general class! If you plan to operate HF, then I suggest you get a Kenwood TS 480HX. Reason, 200watts output! World class voice quality and an excellent rig (large screen, compact, ease of use). The head can be mounted in more than 10 ways as it is detached unit from the 200watt amp. There are two built in fans which help keep it cooled. I have two: the Kenwood 480 SAT & 480 HX in addition to a Yaesu FT 857D that I permanently mounted on my old US Army Alice pack frame for back pack pedestrian ops at the truck stops.

With band (propagation) conditions being so bad these days, anything less will leave you a bit disappointed on 20meter, 40meter and possibly 75/80meter all dependent on which mobile antenna you choose to go with. I can help you on this also.

I will leave it here; but I do have much more information for you as a female operator. Feel free to contact me using the direct mode(s) found on the trucker report.

and aimhigh

ladyfire Thanks this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Icom 7000
    Get one

ladyfire Thanks this.
  6. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    ICOM? That stands for "I Can Only Monitor" dud'nit?

Tee-hee-hee. In all reality, an IC-7000 is high on the list of wanted radios when I get my license.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. kevin7898

kevin7898 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Fort McMurray, AB
    i have an ic7000 and love it, don't have in my big truck, but installed in my pickup since new, talked all ver the world, of course good band propagation helps, but the digital dsp is great for reducing noise.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. ladyfire

ladyfire Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Good to know! Thanks.

9. Hudson_MacBeth

Hudson_MacBeth Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Another ham operator here (extra class), just getting ready to go back to driving. Hoping to find more hams out there, as I will be taking my FT-857d with me, especially once I figure out some sort of an antenna arrangement.

ladyfire Thanks this.
  10. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    With a W900 and T800 old style mirrors Had good luck using monoband HF antennas mounted to lower mirror bar and using a auto tuner. I used a regular 2 meter mobile(3/4-24 thread 5/8 wave) on opposite side top mirror bar with good results. The Cascadia I drive now has been a nightmare. Wound up with dipole for 11 meters and a no ground 1/2 wave nmo mount on 2 bolt bird perch opposite side for 2 meters. I don't think I'm getting as good performance out of the lower mounted 1/2 wave 2 meter as with the higher mounted 5/8 wave antenna. Don't think there is as much repeater activity in some areas as there used to be. 14,302.50 used to have some driver activity but they may have moved haven't caught them lately.

11. Hudson_MacBeth

Hudson_MacBeth Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2015
    i will eventually be looking at a screwdriver antenna of some sort

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.