Multiple Blow-Overs In Oklahoma Today - 07/14/16

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by STexan, Jul 14, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    A significant storm system moved through eastern Oklahoma this afternoon. It was a major squall line at a minimum. However this particular system bordered on a derecho storm status, but unsure if it exceeded 250 miles.

I was south bound and hit the north end of the complex just as it crossed 69 at Pryor. It was very slow moving and put out wind gusts 60-80 MPH with sustained winds of 55 MPH, generally in a ESE direction out in front of the line the mostly contoured to follow US-69.

Lots of power outages and wind and lightning damage from Wagoner to about Checotah and eastward, I'm sure. I suspect if I had a rain gauge on my truck, I would have collected in excess of 18 inches across roughly 60 miles between Pryor and Checotah. Add in 50+ MPH cross winds and it was an interesting ride to say the least. Glad I was peaked out.

Muskogee Pilot and Checotah J were without power.

Saw one truck (reefer) north of I-40 that was north bound on 69 and was not only blown over, but the rear of the trailer was blown further back away from the road to orient the truck-trailer almost 45 degrees to the road orientation. Found this story that shows other blown trucks. I'm confident the complex gained energy after it moved past Tulsa, and into the US-69 region.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...opple-semi-truck-knock-out-power-tens-n609596

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    In Wagonner, the winds were strong enough to blow over several road identification signs at the intersection of US 69 and OK 51. These signs do not have a lot of flat surface and have stood up to many dozens of strong spring storms and nearby tornados

FerrissWheel and PacoTaco Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Glad I didn't go that way. I was undecided about going from KC thru Joplin to Big Cabin and down to DFW that way because it's about 30 miles shorter. But decided to go Emporia to the turnpike and down. It was windy and stormy from El Dorado all the way thru Wichita. Windy enough to make a bull hauler slow down. Once I got to the OK line, it had calmed down some, but there were black clouds and lightning west of there, but I think it was the trailing edge of what hit your area.

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I had to look up what a derecho storm status is! Never heard of it before. Experienced it a whole lot, particularly living on the Colorado Front Range for so many years. Just had never heard the term.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.