Muslim truck drivers refuse to deliver beer, win $240,000 lawsuit

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by c64basic, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c64basic

c64basic Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Frozen Tundra
    click link for full story
    Muslim truck drivers refuse to deliver beer, win $240,000 lawsuit

Star Transport will pay $240,000 to two Muslim employees who were fired for refusing to deliver alcohol, citing their religious beliefs.

By Molly Jackson, Staff October 27, 2015

An Illinois jury awarded $240,000 in damages and back pay to two former truck drivers who claimed religious discrimination when they were fired in 2009 after refusing to make beer deliveries.

A jury was convened to determine damages after US District Court Judge James E. Shadid ruled in favor of Mahad Abass Mohamed and Abdkiarim Hassan Bulshale when Star Transport admitted liability in March. The men, both of whom are Somali-American Muslims, were represented by the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, employers must make accommodations for workers' religious beliefs unless doing so would impose "undue hardship" on the business.

Recommended: Sunni and Shiite Islam: Do you know the difference? Take our quiz.
    As UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh explained to The Washington Post, the trucking company admitted that drivers often switched their assignments, meaning it would have been reasonable to accommodate the men's request, rather than firing them.

The jury delivered its verdict in 45 minutes, on Oct. 20. However, the case appears to have picked up national attention when Fox News' Megyn Kelly invited the channel's legal analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano on air Monday, where the two criticized the government-appointed agency for cherry picking cases to serve a political agenda.

"It’s unfortunate when the government interferes in a private dispute over religious views and takes sides, and chooses one religion over another," Judge Napolitano said, responding to Ms. Kelly's accusation that the government had not provided Christians who object to workplace demands with the same protections as the Muslim truck drivers.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    What I'd like to know is how they plan on getting that $240 grand. Star went out of business.

4. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Wondering if company was told by employees that they would not haul pork, alcohol, bibles, american flags, etc... at time of hire. I know if I refused to take load to my least favorite place I would get canned. -And no money my way, nor unemployment.

5. Short Fuse EOD

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
  6. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Thanks god the law of this land protected these guys from ignorant people like yourself.what american flags,bibles and pork have in common with alcohol??

TheJrodTest Thanks this.
  7. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    The law of this land did not protect these foreign born parasites. Greedy Lawyers and a totally
    corrupted Judicial system rewarded them something for nothing. This is just another sign of
    things to come as the Government continues to use the Constitution like a roll of toilet paper.

8. Obscured.By.Clouds

Obscured.By.Clouds Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Nuke this hole already.lawyers first!

9. Short Fuse EOD

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    The "victims" claimed religious hardship from their employer. Pork is one of those items. Bibles, another. I have lived years in Muslim countries so I guess I am ignorant. Hmmm.

But wait Short Fuse!

What about American Flags?

How many US flags burned by Imams?

That's right I am ignorant for hauling freight for a company that puts food on my table for my family.

10. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Wish I could get some beer loads. For some reason they do not want me to haul them go figure.

taxihacker66 and tucker Thank this.
  11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Where is the protection for the woman that refused to issue marriage licenses to gays add part of her job?

Oh wait, no religious protection for her.........because this is another BS Cherry picked politically motivated perversion of the law.

The DOJ and the courts have effectively PERVERTED the Judicial system to the point we have returned to the "political era of Policing".

http://www.thebadgeguys.com/policing-in-america-reform-era-policing/

This useless piece of crap President has turned the clock back over 100years in the evolution of the US Police force.

It is absolutely amazing he doesn't regularly get called out on this simply by the facts of what has resulted from his policies.

Racial tensions are also reverted back to 1950s era levels due to his support of Racial Hate group leaders ,Racially motivated policies and Racially motivated SELECTIVE ENFORCEMENT under the CORRUPT DOJ.

Pathetic.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    DrFlush and 207nomad Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.