My DPF is killing me , what can i do? Idont go to california

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Nightrider4156, Nov 22, 2015.

1. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    No procedures like that over here and around the Mid-West. That is why we stay away from NY, CA, OR and the like.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Cool. So you just need a list of states to stay out of and you're good?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Better add Reno to that list.
    They check to see if your emissions are still stock.

5. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    You guys are missing the point. If there is no law prohibiting me from modifying it, how can I be found guilty? If I were the kind of person who thought that police were judges, I may roll over and pay the fine... But I'm not, so I wouldn't. Just because a cop interoperates that code to include ME (the end user) does not make it LAW. I would (if questioned) inform the officer that I MYSELF was the person who did the modifications and do not intend to EVER sell my truck. If I ever sell the truck I am responsible for returning the equipment to factory original before selling it.

6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    But it IS against the law....at least some places. Did you read my emissions thread? I was pulled over for a road side emissions test in NY. The do a visual test to ensure that all emissions equipment is intact. Then they do an emisison test.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  7. Guntoter

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok Rank. Show me the written law that says it is illegal. Forgive me for doubting cops but I go through the most notoriously illegal inspection stations in the country everyday (Banning, Rainbow, Tehachapi...) If I accepted every ticket that some CHP rent-a-pig mechanic wanna be cop wrote, I'd be out of business in a month. I'll give you the no BS stats on citations I get, about 30% of the tickets written to me or my drivers over the last 15 years have been beaten because a cop just made stuff up or wrote a VC for an unrelated issue because he couldn't find a code for what he thought should be a violation. Most drivers just accept that since a cop said its illegal, it must be illegal. I see it differently, they are the enemy, their job is to put me out of business, if they have to lie, cheat, or deceive me and a judge to do it... They will.
    It is in fact illegal for a "manufacturer, dealer, mechanic," or anyone else to manipulate an emissions system on a truck if they are not the END USER (owner, operator, etc...). It is a requirement that I not sell my truck with manipulated emissions equipment, so I have to return the truck to OEM before selling it to anyone. Some states do have local laws pertaining to excessive smoke, idling, etc, but they can't write a ticket because you altered your truck (unless it causes it to become illegal, like pumping it to 800 HP and it smokes excessively) no different than painting it a color that a cop doesn't like or writing an offensive saying on it.
    Side note: If I eliminate my DPF I am required to cover or remove the "clean idle" sticker because I no longer meet those requirements.

rodpiper Thanks this.
  8. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I had this very conversation with my father in law just the other day. He was of the same mind as @Guntoter, I was on the fence. My father in law is an experienced Diesel mechanic of the last 40yrs, farmer, and rig owner. I know in Ohio they dont do so many emissions checks, but he still stands by that if he owns it, he can do what he wants with it.

If I remember correctly Ohio law states something about having a modified exhaust being illegal on all roadworthy vehicles. However its been fought many times in court that the car is your property and therefore you can do what you want, however if it is excessively loud, then you can get a noise disturbance ticket.

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    You are preaching to the choir Guntoter, but I am telling you my actual first hand experience of what happened to my 1986 model year mechanical 3406B powered out of state truck in NY. Not making any claims about any other states or provinces.

Your only hope is in bold red i.e. perhaps, for some reason your truck is not subject to the terms of this law. You will have to do that research yourself since I chose a different defense tactic, I never determined if I am subject to the terms of the sub part.

Here is a link to my emission thread:
    I was charged for excessive smoke under 217-5.4 (1)
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...s/3406-b-failed-emissions-in-ny.285725/page-2

Here is a link to the NY the law.
    I think 217-5.4 (2) and 217-5.4 (3) might apply to you.
    https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Document/I4e8f9f0bcd1711dda432a117e6e0f345?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

Partial cut and paste of law:
    217-5.4 Vehicle owner/operator requirements.
    (a) No person who owns, operates, registers, leases, or rents a HDDV subject to the requirements of this Subpart shall operate said vehicle, or allow or permit it to be operated in the State, if the vehicle:
    (1) emits smoke in the exhaust emissions with an opacity which exceeds the smoke opacity standards specified in Table 1 of this Subpart pursuant to the effective dates established in section 217-5.2 of this Subpart, when tested in accordance with procedures set forth in section 217-5.5 of this Subpart;
    (2) does not have functioning emission control apparatus as required by specifications of the manufacturer;
    (3) has any component, element of design, or emission control apparatus, installed or required to be installed on the vehicle or diesel engine which:
    (i) is not functioning and will result in the emission test set forth in section 217-5.5 of this Subpart to be discontinued; or
    (ii) has been disconnected, detached, deactivated, tampered with or in any other way rendered inoperable or less effective than designed by the original equipment or vehicle or engine manufacturer, including any action which will result in the emission test set forth in section 217-5.5 of this Subpart to be discontinued.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    bigguns, Guntoter and daf105paccar Thank this.
  10. Guntoter

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    New York is pretty clear, you can't delete any emissions equipment because it says "owner/operator requirements". So yeah, that applies to us. They obviously caught on to what I mentioned. Probably only a matter of time before every state does.

11. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    What is attached is the epa guidelines towards tampering with emissions equipment that you want in written form. If you read in the items tampered with it says including but not limited to. Also in the wording it states any person. These are the law and are prosecuted under title 40 United States code if I remembered right. It actually is an epa mandate not a law. The fines are prosecuted mostly as civil penalties. But dpf delete companies and others that manufacture components to thwart emissions have been successfully prosecuted criminally. Individual fines are up to $3,750 per day. Fines for business polluters are up to $37,000. The big push is for pickups but they are looking for all the money they can get

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.