My Eccentric Tanker Trucking Questions

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by John Drake, Jun 26, 2015.

1. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Schneider doesn't do food grade. If you move to the Midwest Chicago would be the place to go to find what you are looking for. Look into Foodliner...they go west...and east.

Gotta go where the freight goes and the NE isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

John Drake Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. John Drake

John Drake Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2015
  4. ernestadkins

ernestadkins Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Mardela Springs, MD
    Hi John,

I've been dragging a tank for the past two years both food grade and chemicals. the d like to give my opinion on your questions.

1. You don't have to move. That's a serious risk and you are gambling the company you select will treat you right. I'd start with a company that best matches your requirements and see how it goes. Personally I would never move for a company until I was certain I had a future there. Besides, if you are staying out for 6 months straight, where you live will have limited impact on your home time. If you are looking to take a few weeks at the end of the year, I would definitely give them a few weeks notice prior to when I wanted off. Make that a part of your decision making process when selecting a company.

2. Yes, there are long and short runs on both sides. I'm sure you know this but the runs are all customer driven. Perishable bulk liquids like milk may have shorter runs. Others in food grade like palm and soy oils can certainly go long distances. Some chemical companies do long hauls too. Again, that's a question I'd ask before agreeing to accept a position at a company.

3. See my answer in #1.

4. From my experience in tanks, it seems to me most of the OTR work is in the Northeast. You maybe sitting elsewhere while waiting for loads. Talk to other drivers at different companies, like you are on here but also in person. Ask recruiters questions and compare them with driver's answers.

5. As for a tanker company directory, try this:

http://www.tanktruck.org/about/membership/carriers-member-directory

I truly hope this helps you in your quest. Feel free to reach out if you would like more information.

Good luck,
    Ernest Adkins

5. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    Also check out Superior Carriers & Carry Transit. They have terminals in NJ, right by the NY border. My runs are usually 500 miles or more. You don't have to move, but if you do, I hear Houston, TX gets good loads. Could be wrong though.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  6. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    My Terminal manager told me on Monday they are hurting for drivers in High Point NC. We have coast to coast runs and Canada. Pay in the 60K range with good home time

7. Chasing dollars

Chasing dollars Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado
    Wsyrob, what company u drive for?

8. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Superior Carriers out of the High Point NC terminal.

Chasing dollars Thanks this.
  9. Jbond

Jbond Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2015

10. Jbond

Jbond Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2015
    What is the reason for the driver shortage at your terminal, are they expanding business,or are drivers quiting?

11. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    We have a pretty old driving force there. Guys are retiring or getting sick. One of our main customers has about doubled the size of their plant as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.