My experience with Dynsas APU and Boomers Diesel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Wooly Rhino, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I do not know if this is the correct forum to post this so move it if you must.

I just bought my Volvo VNL 780 so of course I have to add an APU to it. I did my research and found out there was lots of different things to chose from and for a non mechanical guy like me, nothing I could understand.

I have experience with both Carrier and Tri Pacs. Both worked nice but the Dynsas looked good also. The deciding factor was cost and the bright yellow cat engine. So I call Dynsas and filled out the financing request. $9100 total cost. They have in house financing. I don't borrow money but what the hey, let them shoot me a quote. They turned me down. Okay. I pay cash. Two days later that called me back and told me they could not believe they had turned me down and now want my business. Fine. I over looked that. I let them finance me half of it. Boomers told me to use a different company. Score one for Boomers. The in house finance folks wanted a check for first and last payments in advance. They had that puppy cashed before I got out of town headed for the install.

I arrived at Boomers Thursday morning at 4 AM. They open at 7 so I slept in the back. They woke me and told me to pull it in and I did. They pointed to the divan and I was out of it. Just before noon, I had a bright shiny Dynsas installed. They had a bit of trouble getting the Skirt back on the side of the Volvo but it is a new model and I learned how it went on while watching them. Taylor took me on a tour of the system and it is all pretty straight forward. As an aside I had lost my wallet and was going nuts. I thought I lost it in Kansas City at the Sams Club. The Sams people opened up after hours and checked the tapes. It was in the truck somewhere. I found it after the install. Their is a place that looks like it would be a good spot to put your wallet but it is deeper then I thought it was.

I left Boomers for Vegas to pick up my trailer and get my DOT numbers put on. First night, it was hot. Air Conditioning? NO...Air coming out was 82 degrees. Something not working. I slept with the windows down. I never thought it was anything major but I am not allowed to touch anything that has to do with my own vehicles. My friends no I will just make more work for them. Just leave the tools alone and run get us something to eat. I call Taylor the next morning and he had me check some things. All of them were fine. Now he wants me to get a tool and open a box. He didn't look like he was insane but it is always the quiet ones, you know. Some kind of screw driver that bends? Never heard of it. So I stop at a TA and put the head set on top of a Mexican Mechanic. He had heard of a screw driver that shape and actually had one. He popped the box lid off and Taylor had him check some stuff and there it was a simple loose wire. No charge. I did buy them lunch.

Now I am relaxing in a nicely chilled Volvo in the desert outside of Vegas. What is that I am hearing, Vegas is calling.

So far, I recommend Dynsas and Boomers but finance through someone named Bridgett.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Entertaining & informative.

I wouldn't get too comfy strictly because of the CAT name; we had rigmasters that they put a 2 cylinder CAT engine in & had just as many problems with not starting, overheating, condenser fan failing, leaking seals, oil in coolant, oil consumption, & squealing then snapping belts as the identical red Perkins & the unknown brand (Briggs & Stratton?) before.

Now they use a Kohler version that is marginally quieter (HAHAHAHA) & sounds like a radial propeller plane engine vs the standard riding mower with a hole in the muffler I am used to.

Tell me, do they still have the coolant reserve tank mounted directly above the main flywheel belt so when it heats up & spills out the vented cap it drips all over the belt?

Wish you the best & hope you got a good one.
    If I had the choice - Tripac & only Tripac.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    You do realize, that your Shiny Yellow CAT is actually a Perkins painted yellow....

Just sayin'

6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    But is is made next door to the cat plant in Georgia.

7. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    [QUOTE="archangelic peon, post: 5334995, member: 76860]

Wish you the best & hope you got a good one.
    If I had the choice - Tripac & only Tripac.[/QUOTE]

I ran a truck with a brand new Tripac for 6 months.....it worked for a cumulative 2 weeks......

8. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I never assume any thing human made is infallible; with available evidence & personal experience, I choose Tripac.

Have a couple OTR friends with Tripac units in the 25-30k hr ranges & going strong with minimal repairs.
    As per the norm, the electronic portions are usually the downfall in such a rough environment.

9. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    To me CAT pays way too much for their paint. The only reason that I can think of for them to charge so much when other machines have the same or better quality for a much lower price.

10. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Thank you all for the replies. I am going to keep posting and if everything goes to pot, I will let you know that also.

The reason Tri Pac lost out on me was the bid price being high. I had always had good experiences with Tri Pac but I loved the Lucas Oil involvement with Dynsas.

I am outside of Las Vegas and slept like a baby. Which means I woke up crying for large boobs. On to Vegas now.

4mer trucker, Dharok and special-k Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but cat doesn't make those, or any, small engines. They are rebranded perkins. Perkins engines are found in all sorts of light and medium duty construction equipment. From tractors and bobcats to backhoes and generators and compressors. Thermoking reefers also use perkins engines.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.