My experience with Dynsas APU and Boomers Diesel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Wooly Rhino, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The biggest problem with apu's is they are made to fit short trucks with minimal frame space so they have to stack the engine and generator so you get belt drive, so when the ac kicks in there is a big load on the belt, mfgs add capicators to help lessen the load so you end up with more eletronic stuff to fail.
    If you nave room a generator with direct couple to the generator is the best and most trouble free, but they won't fit most trucks.
    I do know the people at boomer and they are probably the most experienced out there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rexmanno

rexmanno Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2013
    You are correct Spyder 7723, Cat don't make those engines, they are repainted Perkins. I was at the Rigmaster factory in Toronto, Canada when they first came out, right before Rigmaster either went under or sold out or whatever happened to them back then. But I believe Cat bought out Perkins and they are being run as two different companies, therefore the good quality name each brand has built up don't hurt the other.

4. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Repainted Perkins motors? How can that be? They gave me a Cat Hat.

So much for being impressed with the Yellow Paint. I do know that I am sitting in the sleeper cab right now parked at the Mirage in Vegas. Happy and well rested. Set at a poker table with all the locals. There is gold in them there hills.

5. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I got my Dynasys at Cantwell Power in Ft. Worth. They were the only shop l found that offered the OOIDA member $500 discount with a one day installation time. The dealer in Memphis wanted at least two days didn't have time for that.

I went with the gen 2 which has the separate refrigerator style a/c compressor mounted in the cab under my bunk. There have been numerous complaints online about it. Mine arrived with a bad generator and they replaced it before l left. The new Dynasys SL model has the automotive ThermoKing style a/c system and has no generator like the gen 2. Makes it more reliable probably. I only use an inverter so don't need the generator. Might try that system next as it is also $500 less.

The main reason l got the gen 2 is the shore power so l can plug into a power pole and have a/c and heat with no diesel used on my dedicated run. Overall l love the system. The heating system is great as l had a company truck with a bunk heater and it was like a jet engine coming from under the bunk but l still froze in bed. The Dynasys puts warm air out the vents and the digital thermostat kept my bunk area a comfy 70 degrees while parked in 25 degree weather.

I also like the digital touchscreen controller that gives any warning codes, gives you cabin temperature and has settings for timed delay starts, battery voltage starts etc. Seems much better than a TK Evolution's two dials where you need a laptop with their software to check codes or settings.

6. Wooly Rhino

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    An update.

I had a problem with the system. The controller read that the temperature sensor was not connected. I call Taylor who installed it on his cell phone (nice touch to give you that number) he said he had never heard of that but to unplug the control and let it reset. No problem and it fixed itself. They tell me it is 100 degrees outside. It is 68 inside her. I dragged the blankets out to sleep last night.

Now the bad news. Alliance Funding Group They are the company that is doing a partial financing of my unit. Boomers did not recommend them, Dynasys did. I am to the point that I strongly recommend going to the woman Boomers recommends. The latest from Alliance was they did not figure in the Sales tax before they did the loan paper work so the were going to have to deduct that money from my checking account. Really? I called Boomers and he said he had my back and would do whatever I wanted. Great having him on board. So I told Alliance no. They need to wait a couple of weeks before doing anything as I needed to check with my attorney. They also contacted my insurance company and wanted a separate coverage on the APU. Fine but they should have let me know that before the purchase.

So to review, The APU is working wonderfully. Boomers is a great company to work with. I do not know if they take the OOIDA discount as I didn't ask. Which is silly because I am a member. Do not use Alliance to finance, ask Boomers for their choice. Alliance maybe a good company but my experience has not been professional.

Now to turn off the APU and start my truck. Drive safe and try not to sweat, I know I won't.

7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    You got either the Rustoleum Rebrand or the Krylon Upgrade.

archangelic peon Thanks this.
  8. Wooly Rhino

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I do not know what I got. I just know I love it. And if spray painting something yellow can make me love it, I will try that for my anniversary. The wife is still mad at me for last years present. I really thought getting her a year long membership to Weight Watchers was a nice present.

9. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013

I just bought a 780 as well and was looking at the dynasys. How clean is the install? Did it take long? How is is holding up? I read you had a few glitches but nothing major so far god luck! I have been reading reviews and a lot of people have been saying negative things about it but they are all old posts.

10. Wooly Rhino

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    The install at Boomers took about 4 hours. I am not sure the exact time as they have a nice leather couch in the back with a load air conditioner. I slept until it was time to go. It was the first 780 they had worked on, so it took them a bit to get the skirt to snap on properly but other then that, it was great.

And yes I had a few glitches but having Taylor's cell phone number and knowing he will answer has been great. I am doing my first oil change tomorrow. Over due but hey, I am not a mechanic. Charles Bronson, now he was a mechanic.

Over all, other then the financing, and those guys ended up selling my load to another outfit, I would buy the system again and use Boomers to install it. But I would call Bridgett for the financing.

11. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    That's great to hear thanks for the info. One other question. What is your wheel base and what size tanks do you have. Mine is 229" and 150 gal tanks. Might have to cut down one tank for space. I have just under 17" on the rail to work with on the drivers side

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.