My First Post...As Green as a Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by PugVan, Sep 24, 2016.

1. PugVan

PugVan Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2016
    I don't like my current job so thought I would become a delivery driver, but don't want to driver 18 wheeler and don't want to just drive locally making dozens of stops a day...thinking more along the lines of sprinter van. FYI: I have no experience or connections in the industry and don't have a CDL currently. I am willing to move anywhere in the U.S. and start on 1 week's notice and want to work as much as possible to make as much as possible (even 35K year would be an improvement-35K after all deductions except taxes) Here are some starter questions...

1. Doesn't it make more sense to study the CDL book yourself and get your learner's permit rather than pay a trucking school a bunch of money to put you through a 160 hour program?
    2. Is it unreasonable to think I can find some random driver with a sprinter van who I can pay to train me and let me use his van for the test?
    3. Can I expect to get hired by a company with no experience? What if I buy my own van, would that help a lot?
    4. How much can I expect to make per year starting out?
    5. Do sprinter vans typically drive long distances like a semi or make many small stops?
    6. Can I expect to be driving at all hours with no consistent sleep schedule?
    7. Would it be a better idea to be an independent driver rather than get hired on with a company?
    8. If I take a job with a company can I work more hours if I want or do they tell me what I can work?
    9. Is it an advantage to be willing to move anywhere?

any help would be appreciated. I'm sure these questions are like asking a football player how many yards the field is, but gotta start somewhere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    A sprinter van is a non cdl, large van.. im a little confused, are you talking about class B straight trucks? Like a expediter?

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sprinter VAN Commercial for hire falls under CDL Class C in my State. You will need the reflective markers etc.

The one exception might be not for hire. But where is the money in that? You are not junkers roaming the USA.

There are segements of our nation that rely on you to deliver blood samples to medical labs, oxygen (Under placards) to nursing homes, Air express to memphis Fed Ex etc. All kinds.

Courier services for DC in particular is infested with vans and cars. ALL making a dozen or more stops downtown as fast as you can manage.

5. PugVan

PugVan Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2016
    I was told I need a class B or C with hazmat for sprinter van....is CDL license good in all states?

6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes One CDL one Federal Government. States that issue the CDL has to follow Uncle Sam.

Class B starts at 26,001 gross vehicle weight. So that must be a monster sprinter van LOL.

lagbrosdetmi Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lots of expedite companies use sprinter vans. Panther Expedite (pantherpremium.com) is one of dozens. Google for expedite and ask what they require. Some will want Class B with hazmat endorsement and some will want Class A with hazmat endorsement. Yes, CDL is good for all states and Canada.

Winnyf1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. PugVan

PugVan Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2016
    can anybody address some of my other other questions?

9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    If you drive for anyone you are at their mercy.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I remember Panther. Fast little things.

Ive joked in the past when dispatch sets two pallets in the nose to deliver overnight, I should whistle up a cat and throw that pair of pallets and all into them let them deliver it. While i catch up on sleep.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I don't know anything about Sprinter van ops. Insurance requirements usually dictate driver requirements in other parts of industry. Not sure anyone will volunteer to operate outside of their insurance coverage to give you a chance. I've been told that Expediter companies like to have far more vehicles than needed just so they can have vehicles close by in case someone calls with a need. Since they use Owner-Operators, the risk is with the truck owner not the big name expediter company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.