my first tractor trailer accident

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ezrider_48501, May 26, 2015.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    had someone run a red light tonight and try to drive under my trailer. i think its time to get a dash cam. the other car was deemed at fault and ticketed. only damage to my truck was it blew out the front passenger side trailer tire.

i was driving threw a green light the other car made a right hand turn under my trailer.

Attached Files:

Dinomite Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    the other guy first tried to claim that i ran the red light, but then changed his story a bunch of times and then tried to say i was speeding. the cop flat out said that if i was speeding there would have been nothing left of there car.

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Just be happy no one was put in ambu.

5. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    for sure, could have been much worse. no one was hurt. they drove away. i drove away to a tire shop. I am very thankful we were not pulling people pancakes from under my trailer.

hopefully the insurance company does not hold it against me. I don't see why they would i wont know till i call them in the morning. its tempting to not tell them. the cop gave me a print out with both of our insurance information on it. they instructed me to contact my insurance company and give them the information from the print out.

i wonder if i shouldn't just contact there insurance company and leave mine out of it. everything seems fine in the dark other than the blown tire. so damage is likely pretty minimal on my end. there damage was much worse than mine but that't not my problem because they were at fault.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Bet this didn't happen in Ohio. They'd still be combing through your logs, cell phone and GPS records to see if there was anything at all you did wrong since your last restart. Then they would hand you a ticket because "You shouldn't have been there for the accident to have occurred".

VeganTrucker Thanks this.
  7. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Do not fail to contact your insurance company for a back up. I can almost guarantee that the idiot that hit you, will. Don't matter that he got the ticket either. He will most certainly try something, even a lawyer for him will do so. His lawyer may be an expert in going after truckers, and will know how to get into all your crap to find even the most minute detail you missed.

Always CYA.

You can (if you wish) tell your insurance company that for the price of a tire, you will pay for it. But of course, you really ought to go after the other driver, I know I would, cuz we all KNOW they will come after us. I wouldn't delay in hiring (unless you have one) a lawyer to handle this, sure he gets a cut, but then he deals with all the rhetoric, and you go about your business.

In fact, your insurance company will pursue any claims for you as well. This is what you pay them for each month.

8. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Sucks man.

Most likely need a trailer alignment at the least. Hopefully not to much damage.

9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Glad everyone walked away. Be honest with your insurance company.

Ezrider_48501 Thanks this.
  10. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Ditto what G Anthony said...the guy that hit you may decide he wants to sue you for something, you don't want to defend that suit, that's the insurance company's job. Glad nobody was hurt.

11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Glad YOU'RE OK.

Could have been a moment sooner and hit yer cab.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.