My journey with Orange starts

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by softail, Jul 21, 2014.

1. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    There's more to driving than you can learn in a week.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    look, its not setting a driver up. Its that for some drivers they would need a bit more or quite a bit more time before being turned loose as a solo driver.

It costs money to send someone through orientation and the whole three week process, do you really think a penny pinching company that SNI can be is just going to throw money away by setting someone up to fail?

Its incumbent on the TE's to give an honest assessment of a drivers capabilities or lack thereof.

My biggest failing was putting pressure on myself and feeling rushed. Mistakes happen when you feel rushed. Being a new driver can be very overwhelming at times. New drivers should take all the time needed to safely preform whatever task they may be on.

Grijon, Landog, Griffinator and 3 others Thank this.
  4. warhippy

warhippy Medium Load Member

May 9, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Mickeyrat is spot-on! Backing is the hardest thing for a new driver. We all had to start somewhere's. Other drivers may snicker a little but if you need a spotter GET ONE!! Most don't mind helping. The second mistake new drivers do is forget they have a trailer behind them. They leave the fuel island...make a right or left turn and take the front end off someones truck.

Even after 130000 miles I still have aborted a backing attempt because I didnt feel comfortable. I pulled around and found another spot.

We had 18 in my orientation....10 made it through the 3 week training. Out of the 10 only 5 are left after a year. It's not for everyone! The good part is after you get a year you should never have to worry about putting food on the table. There will always be a job for those that keep their CDL current.

Grijon, Landog, Griffinator and 2 others Thank this.
  5. warhippy

May 9, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Second suggestion is try and find Someone to team with you. You can both help each other out. It helped a lot for both myself and my son when we started.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  6. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I did 4 weeks at a professional truck school. So I am confident that a week would be enough. My only worry is floating gears or something. I am not smooth at shifting 10-speeds.

7. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    That will come in time.

Lightside Thanks this.
  8. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Are you all enjoying your time with Schneider? That 1 week OTR training is appealing. May and Gordon want at least 2-3 weeks.

By the way do Schneider allow Idling? or have APUs?

Absolutely true by the way about rushing. That was the toughest challenge at the truck school. Just being easy going and slowing down.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  9. softail

softail Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    Have to agree with mickeyrat and warhippy. Some days I can back into a very tight space, other days I could not back into a barn. It is all about your setup. Always check your mirrors, always. The other can wait. They may talk sh## about you, but who cares. You parked safely. That it all that matters.

The first couple of weeks were the worst. You feel rushed to get to your destination and getting used to everything. Trying to remember everything you were told.

Shifting does come with time. Hate to admit it, but every now and then still grind a gear. It happens. It took about a month being solo to start floating gears.

Never worry about what's behind you. They will go around you. Unless they gave blue lights

I believe SNI sets up a driver for success. Training cost are high. Insurance is high. Repair costs are high. SNI give you the tools to be successful. It is your responsibility to drive safely and take the things they taught you to remain safe.

Grijon, Landog, taugust and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. warhippy

May 9, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You can Idle but it effects your fuel economy which effects your bonus.....don't worry about the bonus you will get it as long as you don't hit anything. Trucks are also equipped with Webasco heaters for the winter. They work okay and will keep you warm enough in the winter.

I didn't feel one week was enough with the training engineer but 3 weeks training total versus 3-4 months was appealing to me also. I wanted to make some money and was ready to get out there and go.

The group in Fontana was professional and did a good job of training us.....wait let me rephrase that. They did a good job of making sure we were already trained. That's why it's called a finishing school. They weeded out the ones that had their CDL but didn't know how to drive. We knew the first week who would make it and who wouldn't.

Grijon, 91B20H8 and Lightside Thank this.
  11. dirtdog

dirtdog Bobtail Member

May 13, 2014
    I think I am lost...
    Very true words.
    My theory is though, if the person has good common sense they will do ok. It's the people who don't have any common sense that are the problem.

TennMan, 91B20H8 and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.