My journey with PGT begins today

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by cjr323, Nov 24, 2012.

1. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Just a quick update on where I am at. I finished orientation and now I am sitting in a motel about 150 miles away from where I started. For some reason during orientation they try to keep everything involving your trainer a big secret. They will not give you a time, day, or even a general idea of what to expect. They just keep saying you will get a trainer soon. Well on Friday I finally found out that my trainer was in rout to pick me up. He was supposed to be coming around 0800. Well he got delayed and ended up coming in around1600. He had a load and I figured we would be rolling out. No, he was out of hours and he had to take a 10. He said we were only going about 2.5hrs away and we would roll out around 0300. He said he would let me drive him now, however he was dropping me off at a hotel and had another 30 min to drive so we just had to wait it out. We rolled at 0300 and he drove since I was tired since I didn't get much sleep and he wanted to get home. He seems to be a really good guy and a good trainer. He has been with PGT for over 20 years. He said it was his first company and he really likes it. He has been training for over 15 of those years so I feel like I am in good hands. He has a 2013 Pro Star and a covered wagon which he agreed to leave broken down so I can learn to tarp while I am with him. He says I will be be with him for probably about 2 weeks, however it is really up to how well I do and when I feel I am ready. He said he has allowed some to stay for as long as 6 weeks because they did not feel they were ready to run on their own. I hope to get back up to Monaca around the 19th so I can test out and pick up a load to take me home by Christmas. He said that he will be back to pick me up around 0530 on Monday and he will let me drive the 150mi to our destination just west of Philly. After that we will be picking up right near there and headed back west I believe he said to Chicago, but can not remember right now. I will update again soon. thanks for reading and all your comments.

Airborne Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. streetmaster

streetmaster Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Well, i'd like to chim in here, been at PGT for a few months now, and i gotta say that there growing on me. Was'nt use to all the micro management that one has to under go to work for them. But there not gonna change there ways, so you'll have to live with it.

I guess the only thing that really bothers me about the fact of having to drive what seems to be, the slowest thing on the inerstate, 64 mph is a tough speed to drive, i find that i have to worry more about tailgatters riding my #####, than my driving some one elses.

Meaning that you'll have to watch your following distance, all the time, because evey once in a while, one of there pace cars that they have running around at differnt locations at different time of the day, will spot a PGT truck, and report your performance to the company, then you get the Email letting you know about it, if you are one of the lucky one's to get spotted.

Yeah i got an Email sent to me this week, letting me know that i was doing a good job. All in all there a nice company to work for, so good luck at PGT:biggrin_25525:

Airborne, The Challenger and MJ1657 Thank this.
  4. lorha1159

lorha1159 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    virginia beach,Va
    I feel ya on the slowness but its not bad. I did 631 miles in my slow truck today. My issue so far is the fuel solution. This load I have now I picked up Friday in Cofield NC which about 70 miles from my house. Well when I left the smart fuel software they have that tells us where to fuel thinks Im running to OH then and not taking my load home for the weekend. Well it gave me the solution to fuel at the Pilot in Emporia. Since we "have" to hit our fuel solution 100% of the time( so ive been told by my FM ) I had to drive down 58 to Emporia to fuel when I could have gone up 64 and hit the Pilot at ex211 just before the Richmond scales. This load I have now isnt paying to hot and it came from one of the agencies so their hand is in it. Nice when I get the paper work that says linehaul is this and the qualcom says the linehaul is actually this. But still WAY to early to really make a call either way other than so far so good. Trucking is trucking.

I have to say going from my Classic XL I owned to this coffin bunk 9400 is holy heck does this thing turn on a dime lol.

hismith Thanks this.
  5. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    What is fuel solution?

Airborne Thanks this.
  6. Sweet-Sally

Sweet-Sally Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Smack dab in TROUBLE
    I hope you have better luck at PGT than the trucker in my family. He was forced to stay in the truck with his trainer for 6 weeks so that his trainer could earn more money. He could not get his daytime dispatcher to give him loads and when he did he was ALWAYS given bad routes that he had to adhere to--to the letter! He was never given proper amounts of time to get to deliveries. They shorted his pay every time. He couldn't get truck mechanically maintained. In short, 3 months in and he quit. I have seen his pay stubs and know he wasn't lying about the amounts earned. He couldn't support a family on wages that put him under the poverty level. He is with another company now and grossing out at around 1100.00. I hope your experience is vastly different. GOOD LUCK!

lorha1159 Thanks this.
  7. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    Its where the company wants you to fuel. Usually its enroute to your destination, it helps the company out if you use it. They will know where the cheapest fuel stations at. When i was a co driver and you missed your fuel stop, you had to call driver service so they could turn your fuel card back on. It only worked at the fuel stop provided enroute.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  8. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    That sounds like no fun to me

Airborne and Logan76 Thank this.
  9. lorha1159

Nov 24, 2011
    virginia beach,Va
    Yeah I heard from my trainer that there are guys like that. I got lucky and got a good one. He signed of on me in a week. Also from what he was saying it is really dependent on what terminal you get dispatched out of.

10. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Which terminals are good and which ones not so good?

Airborne Thanks this.
  11. lorha1159

Nov 24, 2011
    virginia beach,Va
    He told me to try and stay outta Monaca and away from Birmingham. Hes only ever been out of Monaca so just want I was told.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.