My lease adventure

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Rooster1291979, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2013
    SC

Great point here...many drivers do not want or cannot handle the responsibility (not pointing fingers) that comes with renting, leasing, or owning. Sometimes its those who do not want the responsibility who see nothing but the negative in it.

Natethetrucker04 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KingG239

KingG239 Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2014
    NEW Jersey
    Where does ATS run to I live in NY. I was thinking about going with them. And how much for there truck payment? Or better yet if you lease and you run hard about how much can be talk home?

4. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    First off let me start by saying this was a great thread.I have never leased a truck always bought my own but this shows the positive side of what research and a good work/business ethic can get you.Goes to show that you can do ok in a lease/rental situation.

Now my opinion and probably my opinion only is lease purchase/rental is not in and of itself is not such a bad concept.That being said like any other situation you have to be prepared.I'm sure 95% of all lease failures are due to not being in a financially stable position before you start out.

Lease purchase like actual ownership comes with an added financial responsibility.You can make money as an O/O or L/O but week to week you can bring home thousands or wind up owing money.Starting your journey into L/O already in the negative on the home front is a certain recipe for disaster.

You start because you hear about all those big checks some guys get so you figure you can get yourself out of debt what you forget is that the truck comes first.The truck is your money maker without it you make $0.So now those nice paychecks get eaten up by little odd and end repairs or you want the chrome and fancy add ons.You may have a warranty but time sitting is time wasted.As a L/O you make $0 to sit.

Another killer is the time at home.Sure you can go home when you want and stay home as long as you want but those payments don't stop.Sure sitting at home uses no fuel but the payment and such don't stop because you're not working.So you go into the hole and now your 1st week out is just making up for the money from the week before that you stayed home.So again your bills art home may go unpaid.

Sure I've heard all the stories of companies not giving you the miles or screwing a driver over some way or another and yes I'm sure sometimes things like this can happen.I've been doing this for 20+ years nothing really surprises me with what companies will do but that being said it's just human nature for people to blame their short comings on someone else.I don't mind talking to other drivers while I'm sitting getting unloaded but if I think back I could count on one hand how many drivers have straight up said "I screwed up and did "fill in the blank" so they fired me or "I didn't think things through enough and I screwed up by jumping into a situation I was in no way prepared for". It's usually always "I worked my ### off and I was the best driver they had but so and so didn't like me so they fired me"

Posts like this show that with a little research and determination you can make money as a L/O.The OP didn't try to BS himself or anyone else.He said he went in not wanting to own and was fine with a "rental". Just like a new driver he put his year in and it opened up opportunities to him.He's free to make his decision and go from there.You don't like L/O or don't think it works don't do it.If its sounds like something you want to do then by all means try it out just do your research before you sign anything.

5. jakebrake58

jakebrake58 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Orange Park, Florida
    Rooster are you still at ATS? I am working on coming there myself although I will be hauling van - probably doing pad wrap division. Leasing as well. Gimme a shout back please....

6. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I am still with ATS. Things are still going well for me. I stopped updating because corporate took notice of it. I'm not ashamed of anything I posted. It was all factual and I still enjoy this company. I just prefer to fly under the radar.

GoGetta07 Thanks this.
  7. apyles

apyles Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Newbern,Tn
    How would corporate know your true identity? I would think that a screen name would be difficult to identify, so did you happen to mention, this thread to them?

8. Rooster1291979

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I was too specific about some details. Also I did a poor job in picking my screen name. Or at least part of it. Hint, it's almost my birthday.

apyles Thanks this.
  9. Battle Born

Battle Born Heavy Load Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Scandia, Mn
    Rooster, after your year, what are your thoughts on it now? Gonna buy or continue to rent?

10. Rooster1291979

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I like renting. I'm not ready to buy.

Battle Born and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  11. KingG239

KingG239 Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2014
    NEW Jersey
    Those people who always complaining and talking about 2 much responsibility theyre acting like they don't own a house or rent a house and thats not responsibility. They're the one that never make it. And just wanna be a little company B for the rest of there life just saying.

DarkhorseEnterprises and RERM Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.