My "New" 1999 Pete

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Samuel Coyne, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Samuel Coyne

Samuel Coyne Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    Off topic, but since it's my thread and I am bored as all hell right now, the company truck I am driving right now has Qualcomm electronic logs in it. And I never thought I'd say this, but I actually really enjoy having e-logs on board.. Now, this Pete being a 99, probably doesn't qualify for the e-log mandate, but I wouldn't complain if I had to have them installed.. it's kind of nice not having to work 18+ hour days anymore and trying to make a week's worth of that crap look legal on paper. And it's nice not having to take the time to write/re-write logs anymore or look up where I'm at on my phone if I am not in a major city or track my mileage anymore.

I know a lot of people hate e-logs because they feel like they're so restricted on time, but since I am not OTR, nothing I do is really "urgent", and I can pretty much do just about everything I could when I was on paper. I can stop and eat when I want, stop when I want if I just need to get out and walk around, I can stop only having worked 11 hours instead of the full 14 if I am tired, etc., etc. Hauling paper isn't really as time sensitive as the food/produce that I used to haul, and most of my runs are D&H, so I don't feel pressured one bit by having the e-logs. It's also nice that the thing tells me when my 30-minute break is due and tells me how much time I have until I hit a violation. And it's about 1,000,000 times easier to communicate with the dispatchers rather than trying to call them..

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok. I'll take your challenge. Let's reduce the boredom talking about elogs and qualcomm.

I will work on some of your points and you work on mine.

You stated in the second sentence that you don't mind Elogs. Fair enough. I bring up your next sentence, you say that you are free, "FREEDOM!!!" From working 18 hour days that won't stop. Fair enough.

My counter is this. What are you going to do when Dispatch says you must be somewhere in a short time and no excuses? How would you feel knowing that you will be fired and replaced by someone for failing to cave to dispatch pressure? You would be gone, making a claim on the Home State's Employment Line without documentation of that last day at work down to the minute written down as you lived it?

The Justice Center for Truckers is encountering a explosive rise in what I would call malice firing of Truckers who think they are professional enough to "Dare to clock out" when the logs say so for the rest of the day or Night.

There are so many truckers coming here knowing nothing about all of the laws, controversery etc. Nor do they care? As long this last, the over supply; that is: you are going to be left in the cold.

How do you feel about that? I'm interested in your answers.

Me? Firing and threats to fire don't scare me. I'm around for so long in life that if things have gotten to a divorce with a possibility in a trucking company it's long past time to go.

Moving on to the next one... You showed me that you are no one's pushover with your determination to enjoy life on the road. I lay out the second half of the story you wrote very well (NO offense, you made a VERY good case for reducing work place stress and you also really made a case for truckers to take advantage of a 1200 mile work week with all sorts of time on the day time work place clock. NO stress at all. So what if ou stopped somewhere to soak up the sun for 4 hours and feed the ducks for same.

I would be attracted to that life again one more time. Not necessarily the soaking sun part. Some things are best left unseen LOL. I would absolutely bomb around the USA like the Blues Brothers sacking out where necessary and enjoying the local offerings where possible without a schedule in sight.

Going into a extreme from burning three logs, drug assisted running very intense mojokrakentrucking hot wheels and 5000 miles in a week by yourself. (I once average 18,000 a month, the two oil changes per month did me in on monthly logs because the hours just won't reconcile as well as the distances between the two oil changes...)

Down to a work week that contains at best 30 hours driving max and a load that can wait until next week Mon....

The more I think on these lines as a Nation, the more I grow interested in what you have to say to that?

Have a great morning. And a good day!

Samuel Coyne Thanks this.
  4. Txoutlaw73

Txoutlaw73 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Not a bad looking truck ,but I noticed it lacks the full gauge package.

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think he can put a full gauge package in, it's 25 bucks a stewart werner gauge not too expensive considering the life long quality on those things. I think there abouts 100 plus gauges and 60 plus switches that can fit on a panel to the right of the cruise control in the petes. You might want to not use chrome rimmed ones though because the sun on them is painful for a few hundred miles at times.

Another thing is to put a matte (Flat, not gloss) color on the hood. Suggestion either dark olive green or Charcoal against the sun that reflects upwards into your eyes in winter. Not always welcome when you need it. We used to put a sun filter shade along the lower half of the windscreen for that reason.

One of these days Im going to find a proviterabal 2000 dollar 379 pete needing some TLC in a field somewhere and intend to slowly do what it is necessary to have it in a proper working condition. I will never be a showboat trucker because Im not rich. But perhaps a pete going from show to show will highlight what trucking was when I started.

That's my motivation anyway.

6. Samuel Coyne

Samuel Coyne Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    Well, let me first start by saying that the owner of the company I work for is best friends with my Dad, and I have also known him for a very long time, too. He's a great guy. I know he won't fire me for not being able to complete a run that would have taken literally all of my available hours to complete. All of the dispatchers at this company are not pushy by any means. At the start of each day, we tell them how many hours are left on our 70. And they put together an entire day's plan for you and then send it over to the Qualcomm. They will NEVER schedule a driver on a run he can't make in a safe amount of time. ie. If we had for some reason only 8 hours to work (let's say the plan changed in the middle of the day, so now we only have 8 remaining hours on our clock), they won't give me a run that would take 9 hours to complete and tell me to push it as hard as I can. They will not do that. We have enough drivers available that would be able to get the load completed. Now, I know most companies would pressure their drivers into running maximum hours, but this company doesn't. Like I said, this job is very laid back. It's not fast paced, it's not pushy at all by any means. The dispatchers know what we deal with with every day and they are not going to burden is with crap runs that would run us to our breaking point. Now, sometimes they schedule a day that does require you to be moving as fast as you safely can, but if for some reason I wouldn't be able to complete it, I will just tell them and they say, "No problem! Get a good night's sleep. I'll reschedule the appointment for tomorrow." Very low pressure, slow paced company.

Well sir, no offense but I really don't understand what you are asking me out of this next point.. You may have to simplify it for me so that I can better answer what you're looking for! :) If you're asking me if I would rather run my ### off or have a slow kind of working week, I'm here to tell ya that I will take the slower week by far. I hate being pushed. If I want to stop, I am going to stop. If I have to take a 30 minute power nap, I am going to. E-logs or paper, nobody is going to push me to be running if I am extremely tired or just need to stop and walk around for a few minutes. Or if I want to sit down and eat at a restaurant instead of McDonald's, I am going to do that. My dispatchers know that we aren't dogs and sometimes we just need to take things easy, which is why they schedule runs with plenty of time to complete them.

Yeah, it doesn't have full gauges, but it really doesn't bother me. It has all of the gauges that I consider important. I can take a better picture of the dashboard if you guys would like me to. I don't really need to know the diff temperatures or trans temp, or silly things like that. All of the important ones are there, including air pressure, applied pressure, fuel, turbo boost, pyrometer, air suspension pressure, etc.. I can't think of them all right now lol.

Side note.. I bought 60 thread on lug nut covers.. without checking if I had threads sticking out.. and low and behold the back wheels have no threads sticking out.. so I gotta buy 40 push on ones now.. lol

Txoutlaw73 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

Sir, Your first post was the Gold. It's a awesome experience it is working for a laid back company.

Everything else I built on a high pressure company standing on the stressed drivers to make deliveries they are not able to legally.

Throw away my second point there is no point anymore. Again you are laid back and doing well. I don't have a leg to stand on anymore.

What I will do is this. I wish to thank you kindly for a wonderful talk and Im encouraged that companies like yours are doing well in this industry, that tells me that there are indeed changes happening for the better.

Im a old man, and if I wanted to be stubborn and mean I can do that but I wont. Again, your posts was well appreciated and is a positive sign to me that yes, things are improving out there.

I wont be around when it's time for your children to get licenses and ask you how well trucking is turning out to be for them because of the efforts your company is making to improve quality of life all around.

I for one am speechless. But it's a good thing because Im very happy to see these positive changes. It makes me want to see a brighter future for everyone. But....

The Feds have to back off the new laws. They are making them faster than I can keep track of, I need to find a daily or weekly "The Trucker" Newspaper publishing so I can keep up to date. If they still publish that particular paper.

Have a good morning, Today is Monday I take it. It's going to be a good day.

CallMeArty Thanks this.
  8. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    They make a 2pc style that compresses the nut if you have short studs. They're about $4ea but they're way stronger than the regular thread-on type
    image.png

9. catwrench55

catwrench55 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Nice truck bro. Mines just like it except green under the hood.
    Tell you what when these ole girls are cleaned up they draw a lot of complements just because there are few on the road that are taken care of.
    Very interested in what you find with the headlights too.

10. CallMeArty

CallMeArty HaMMeRED DoWN

Apr 6, 2010
    TEXAS
    Exactly the truck I dream of getting a hold of. Think about her everyday. Seriously. Man do I love em. Good luck to you kind sir. Going to bed thinking of this truck.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.