My "New" 1999 Pete

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Samuel Coyne, Aug 4, 2016.

1. CallMeArty

CallMeArty HaMMeRED DoWN

Apr 6, 2010
    TEXAS
    Back to take another look!

Samuel Coyne Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Nice nice...kinda hard to beat an old 379.

4. CallMeArty

CallMeArty HaMMeRED DoWN

Apr 6, 2010
    TEXAS
    377! I'll take one over a hood anyday.

5. Samuel Coyne

Samuel Coyne Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    Thank you!

As far as the headlights go, for now I am just putting new bulbs in, probably Sylvania Silverstar's or the ones that are above those (forgot the name) and run it that way for a while until I find some nice new assemblies.

Thank you! This truck is growing on me more and more. I haven't seen one 377 in my adventures on the road yet. I have seen one set back axle, but not a set forward one like mine. I have always liked having a ride that nobody else has (my pickup was the same way, it was common but I customized it like nobody else's). This truck also has it's own special paint code (Steelcase Blue), so I doubt that I will ever see that blue on an older truck unless of course I see a newer Steelcase truck.

Thank you!

Come and look as much as you'd like! I will be updating the thread as I do more things to it. :)

I do like 379's more, but like I said above, I like driving something that you don't see every day anymore. I don't like just being like everyone else. :)

6. Samuel Coyne

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    So I had a little bit of time yesterday to tinker with this thing. Didn't really do much but I'll update ya's!

First, I installed all of my new switch extenders. So they are all new and they all match now. I really like how they look on this dash.

[​IMG]

Second, I installed the CB bracket for my Galaxy CB Radio (that is currently in the Volvo I am driving). I do need to buy a power cord for it, but those are cheap at truck stops. And once I am in this truck full time, I will put the radio in!

[​IMG]

Next, I couldn't get the glove box to open at all, no matter which way I turned the key. I ended up prying the door open enough to get another screw driver in to pop the latch over and get the door open. This latch is junk, it doesn't work at all anymore, so I am going to stop at the Pete dealer in Green Bay tomorrow or when I get time and order a new one!

[​IMG]

Next, I installed new glad hands. The part that is crimped onto the hose, in my opinion, is dumb, so my dad and I are going to cut the ends off and put the correct style ends on the hoses and then I will be able to install the handles I also purchased.

[​IMG]

Here is what my gauges look like with the blue lights. I think for now I do like the blue, but I need to fix the three gauges that are different (one is burnt out, two are yellow). I might just go ahead and replace all of the bulbs so they all match and then they are all good to go.

[​IMG]

--

Didn't take a picture, but I hooked it up to my dad's flatbed to make sure there were no air leaks at the glad hands, and I wanted to make sure all of the trailer lights worked and everything and I also wanted to slide the fifth wheel. Well, I went to slide the fifth wheel and all it did was leak air. The air line is broken right before it goes up to fitting that's mounted to the frame right in front of the fifth wheel. Oh well, my dad is having the fifth wheel rebuilt since the adjusting nut is maxed all the way out. He said it'll just make him feel better knowing it's rebuilt and I agree with him! So we will replace the line at the same time.

Hopefully this coming weekend I can start polishing the wheels. My dad is probably going to put some 315's up on the steers, so that means I am getting brand new wheels up there that don't need to be polished. I will do the outside four drives because we are keeping the ugly 24.5's until the drive tires wear out.

7. No Clutch

No Clutch Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2016
    MERIDIAN, MS
    So, when are you going to install a more accurate pyrometer & boost gauge in the dash, turn the boost up to support 600hp? The C12 can take it :cool:

8. Samuel Coyne

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    Do you have any suggestions for a better pyrometer that's the same size? This gauge seems to work just fine.

The truck has a boost gauge. Look at my dash pic. I'm moving the gauges around, and that includes moving the boost gauge to where the suspension pressure gauge is.

This engine has 450 horsepower. I found the papers from the Cat dealer that installed the new engine a year and a half ago!

9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    If you like elogs, more power to you. I just feel that should be a carrier's decision, not the government's.

10. Samuel Coyne

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    I agree 100%.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Samuel Coyne

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    Action coming soon! Got the outside 4 drive wheels off and I am going to get those polished this weekend! It should be going into the shop soon to have the power take off installed and the major service done to it!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.