My new adventure with PTL

Discussion in 'PTL' started by DenaliDad, Jul 10, 2015.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

I will just start by saying I ended my employment with Western Express on Friday and started with PTL on Monday. I've never done that before and didn't plan on it this time, but my DM had me make one last trip, a week after the end my 2-week notice. It turned out to be a good thing, even though I grumbled a bit...okay, a lot. My last paycheck was the biggest so far...$1,300 before taxes. And I was a company driver! So yes, given the right combination of factors, you can get big bucks with Western as a flatbed driver.

It just wasn't for me. After falling off twice, getting smacked by the breaker bar once, and developing chronic joint pain in my knuckles from hauling tarps up and down - and not having an APU for comfort - the risk became too much and I gave it up a couple of days short of 3 months. I wanted a company that had equipment with an APU, and PTL does. I communicated with one of their marketing managers for a couple of weeks and here I am, sitting in the sleeper berth of a 2012 ProStar+ with 415,000 miles on it. Most likely, it is in its way to the auction block soon, so maybe I'll get one of the new Freighliner Evos that are sitting on the back lot...

Or not. In either case, I will jot down some thoughts about my time here.

So if you are interested in reading about what I do and where I go (non-specific, of course; one must be aware of security at all times) then subscribe! I will write and you can read. For now, it's off to SB for my 10!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Best of luck at your new home. I will enjoy reading about your new journey. Glad you found a company that has the apu that you need.

4. DtEarth

DtEarth Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Good luck DD. I hope your experience with PGT is better than it was WE. I enjoyed reading your WE experience since flatbedding is what I'm looking at getting into. Drop and hook type of driving is just not for me. To each it own. It's a shame WE didn't work out because it's one of the company in my list. It gave me a 3 month glimpse into flatbedding with WE.

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Ugh. Now I have to follow another one!!! Good luck DD. I hope PTL works out. Much better company.

6. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    Hope it works out for you DD. Good luck.

7. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    Congrats DD. Hope all go's well....

8. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Hey DD...
    my son in law starts his training there monday...just finished cdl school

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Good luck DD. I will be reading.

10. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Didn't you use to work for Prime?

I swear I remember your name posting years ago when U2Exit used to be around before I even started being a 'professional' steering wheel holder.

Why are you going down the ladder of progression instead of up, especially knowing what has been posted repeatedly about both WX & PTL?

Am I completely off on this or just crazy for thinking so?

11. Nitemare13

Nitemare13 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hudson, Fl
    I've been a avid reader of all your threads DD. Good luck with this adventure, I'm sure you will much happier pulling dry then flatbed. Keep writing you have a audience!

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.