My PTL Experience Log

Discussion in 'PTL' started by Big Ugly, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Big Ugly

Big Ugly Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    *cough cough*... Bleck! Spider webs.

Its dusty in here. Let me clean up a little bit & put something new in this thread. Lol. It seems I was accused of not being a PTL OTR driver. Ok why not have some fun with that eh?

image-2.jpg

That pic was taken with my iPhone sitting in my PTL truck at a Love's in Natalia, TX. Oh & the computer in the background has the post. A meaningless exercise but I'm killing time anyway.

WOLFHAWK and Leftnut Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WOLFHAWK

WOLFHAWK Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Westerville, Ohio
    Hi Big Ugly, Just want your opinion seeing you have been with PTL for a fairly long time.

1st a little history , I drove Long Haul, all 48 and Canada and I have also been an Owner operator for over 33 years, I have over 2.5 million safe driving miles and have never had a service failure to my own fault.

Well I stopped driving trucks back in 2009 and started driving Charter bus and Executive bus. Last year we moved to Ohio From Florida and In Dec I started back driving Trucks short haul and local stuff. and in horrid equipment and conditions. Its been a tuff road finding a good decent company to look at me because of only having 3 months recent experience in a truck.

I have had a offer with US Express to go there and go straight out on my own right after orientation,and if I can duck walk under there table lol,, (don't ask). I have just applied today with PTL. My question is, With my years of previous experience, and my safe driving record what would be my chance of not having to go with a trainer to start with ? PTL sounds like what I am looking for in a company.

For me to try sharing such a small space and to sleep behind a driver I don't know is almost impossible..

Thanks for reading this, my typing sucks lol.. Be safe out there and keep on trucking !!

4. Big Ugly

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    Well here's my best guess. Depending on who your recruiter is, you might be able to sweet talk them into letting you go solo straight away. Or you might get lucky like I did & be allowed to do a refresher after being out of the truck for over 5 years. If you get a refresher it goes by so quick it's almost a blink. And more than likely you just ride with an experienced driver for a few trips & you're done. I've now taken 2 different refreshers with me & they completed their 5000 miles with me both in less than 8 days each. So it's not as torturous as it may seem.

For sure have a good long talk with the recruiter that you talk to. I'd recommend Sammy Smock. She can get many drivers with experience approved for all kinds of perks that others do not. So perhaps a phone call & ask for her?

As as for the company itself you've been around long enough to know the ropes so you can make up your own mind. PTL treats me fairly & I'm making a good living. So I feel no need to job hop. To each their own for those who don't believe that as mentioned in a few other threads. Equipment, as far as trailers, has been an issue in the past but it's steadily improving. Everything else you've heard 1000s of times from recruiters & drivers alike.

Good luck whatever you decide & if it works out you come here shoot me a PM so we might say hello in person.

5. WOLFHAWK

WOLFHAWK Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Westerville, Ohio
    Wow thanks for the very quick reply, I will give Sammy a call,, the 1st person I spoke with said something about a possible 6000 miles then off to myself, But a Lady called and said perhaps I can Go experienced,, Dang if I know lol..

Ill def call Sammy this week and plead and beg and offer free Lobster lol..

If I come there we will def have to meet up..

Thanks for the reply

6. Big Ugly

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    No problem. I hope she can work something out for you. With your experience it shouldn't be a problem. Keep me posted & if I can help out let me know.

ChrisB1111 and WOLFHAWK Thank this.
  7. justannanow

justannanow Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2015
    Hey Big Ugly. Thank you for this thread. I am one of those second chance driver's you mentioned and I am certainly grateful that PTL is going to give me the chance to prove that I'm a good driver who made some rookie mistakes. But when I read the reviews on Glass Door and Indeed, I got concerned so finding this thread was a blessing. I was wondering what you can tell me about the type of truck they may put me into. As a woman who stays out 6-8 weeks at a time and cooks on the truck, I really do need a condo. Do you know if I can request one from the recruiter and if it would help any to do so? I report for orientation on the 30th of this month in thriving Murray KY. I am renting a car to get me and my stuff there since I don't wish to come home so soon.

8. Big Ugly

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    Greetings justannanow!

Lets tackle these slightly out of order. First you'll have no issue getting a condo. The entire fleet after the end of the year trade outs is now all condos. The majority are Prostars & around 250 are Cascadias. Autos are getting more plentiful & PTL will eventually go auto fleet wide. If you haven't drove one you'll love it. You might request one from the operations director when you meet him & being a woman he'll probably be more then happy to accomodate you.

Now as for you staying out 6-8 weeks, this company will loooooooooooove you! They want drivers who are willing to stay out & run. So that's great for you. You'll do very well here as this company has the miles to keep you moving.

Back to the part about what you read. Have you ever noticed how all the complaints & issues some people have with a company, pick the industry, are all from ex employees or people who never even worked there? You'll find a myriad of examples all over this message board. Read a thread from a trainee in this section & you'll see I clearly expose a fraud who was to badmouthing PTL without any facts. This company treats me well & that's all I can ask. It's what you put into it that matters. PTL isn't for everybody just as any other trucking company isn't. You'll be the judge of that once you get to orientation.

Good of luck & if I can help in any way just message me or write it here.

9. justannanow

Feb 14, 2015
    I take some of those comments with a grain of salt. The last company I worked at, some of the drivers were complaining that they weren't making the miles but then they also wanted to be home every weekend and holiday. I had several drivers complain to me that they were given loads that they couldn't possibly make. When I would ask them what those loads were they were only 500-600 miles loads due the next day. One driver actually told me that there was no way that he could do 600 miles in one day! And this is in trucks governed at 68 mph! So yeah, too many drivers want the money but aren't willing to run for it.
    I'm glad to hear about the condos and the automatics. I just can't deal with a midroof although I tried in a Prostar for a few weeks while my truck was in the shop. As for the automatics, my last truck was one and I absolutely loved it! My knee loved it even more, especially in rush hour traffic. So hopefully I can get one.
    One more question. I've heard that PTL isn't a company for women drivers. After being called "sweetie" multiple times by the recruiter, I am now more than a little curious. Don't get me wrong, that type of stuff doesn't offend me in the least. But I also don't want them holding loads from me because they think I can't run with the guys or the load may pick up or deliver in a bad area. So are there many women drivers in the company or is it a boys-only club?

10. Big Ugly

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    Maybe it's just me but I'd suggest it's nothing to worry about. The recruiters all call me 'honey' or 'darling' when I talk to them. I view it as nothing more than country charm that is highly prevalent in southwest Kentucky.

As far as this being a boys club again fear not. We have quite a few women drivers & many of them have been here a long long time. I would think professional driving ladies such as these wouldn't stick around if they were uncomfortable with the working environment. Also, I happened to get to know a lesbian couple that just got hired on last week. They were quite surprised at the level of friendliness & professionalism they were getting. Nobody passed any judgement on them either. These ladies kept talking about their previous company & how they were ridiculed & made to feel unwelcome by everyone. I'll not mention the companies name because I avoid posting 2nd & 3rd hand information if I can.

The point is worry not. You'll be treated with dignity & respect from everyone I've ever encountered here.

11. justannanow

Feb 14, 2015
    Thanks Big Ugly. I hate walking into new situations with no clue what I'm walking into. While it happens, I'd much prefer to get some insight beforehand if possible so this thread is really reassuring. Could you tell me if the trucks come equipped with satellite radio? I have a subscription to Sirius XM that is coming due in a month or so and I'm not so much into it that I want to spend money for a separate radio. And the recruiter told me that there are no inverters but that the APU's supply power to outlets in the truck. I thought you still needed an inverter but I could be wrong.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.