My PTL Experience Log

Discussion in 'PTL' started by Big Ugly, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Alatorian

Alatorian Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks for the info BU. I've spoken with recruiting about being hired and my girlfriend and I are good to go. I should start on the 25th and she will start shortly afterwards when CDL school is finished. It's looking like she will do Phase 1 with a trainer and Phase 2 with me. If you don't mind, I did have a couple other questions. I'm sorry if these have been answered already. I'm rather busy and didn't have time to read through all the recent posts on here.

Do you guys use transflo to submit paperwork? Or is it some other method?

Do they tell you where to fuel? If so, which places do you tend to use?

What all was involved in the road test? My girlfriend is rather worried about it.

Thanks in advance for all your answers,
    Alatorian

scs9113 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Ugly

Big Ugly Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    Yes we use Transflo & if you have a smartphone they encourage using the app. It's much easier than searching out s truck stop.

Fueling is is included in routing when you are assigned loads. Love's is the primary fuel stop. 80% or more we fuel there. TA/Petro would be next with Pilot/Flying J being the least used. The whole rebate scandal saw to that.

The road test is drop dead easy. It a short loop around some nearby routes thru town & a few backing exercises. Nothing to it.

Alatorian Thanks this.
  4. A_C_Cooper

A_C_Cooper Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    I just got a prehire from PTL on friday. im planning on going with PTL after i graduate from CDL school unless i get a prehire from a good flatbed company, but first i have to find money to get into school.

5. scs9113

scs9113 Bobtail Member

May 12, 2015

Can I ask who the recruiter was that you talked to? My boyfriend and I are in the same boat as you and your girlfriend, I am ok with Phase 1 and 2 weeeks out with a trainer but NOT thrilled at all about going out with some other guy for Phase 2 of training (said it would be about 10 weeks). My boyfriend already has his CDL A and would just need a refresher, which they said they would do, I start school next month to get my CDL A was hoping that he could be my trainer for phase 2. Any help would be appreciated!

6. Alatorian

Alatorian Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2012
    The recruiter I talked with was Seth, but it turns out that he was wrong. We spoke with the training department and they weren't going to let me train her since I would have been new to the company. The training department at PTL said that my girlfriend would have to go out with a male trainer, or wait several months for a female trainer. Right away my girl started asking me questions about carrying mace or pepper spray because she was nervous at the idea of being in a truck with a strange man. I decided that it just wasn't worth it. She was clearly feeling really apprehensive!

We ended up deciding to go with US Xpress. They have no problem letting her go with a female trainer. She should be with the trainer for 3-4 week ( 175 driving hours to be exact ). And then we will team together from then on out. Best of luck to you scs9113.

scs9113 Thanks this.
  7. scs9113

scs9113 Bobtail Member

May 12, 2015

Thanks for getting back with me! Good luck with you guys too :)

8. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Sounds like you've got everything pretty well mapped out or not,:scratch: after you get out of the school you can't afford to get into.:thumbup:

Big Ugly Thanks this.
  9. Big Ugly

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    Yeah after rereading that I'm even more confused. That synopsis of yours is spot on.

10. A_C_Cooper

A_C_Cooper Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    TDI told me i needed at least one prehire to get them to finance the cost of tuition. Seemed like putting the cart before the horse but i went with it.

11. Big Ugly

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    So now that step is out of the way. Get your CDL now & welcome to trucking. Hope your ready because the reality will swiftly bring you down to earth. Enjoy the ride.

DenaliDad and TB John Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.