My school experience

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by freediverdude, May 6, 2016.

1. freediverdude

freediverdude Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I have been going to a school here in Tampa for the last 2 weeks, and since all of you here have been so helpful since the beginning of the year when I started looking at this, I thought I should tell you what happened, and maybe others can learn.

The first week I passed my physical, drug test, background check, everything with flying colors, and got sponsored by Stevens. Then even though it was a lot of studying that week, I went on to pass the general knowledge, air brakes, and combination tests to get the class A permit (we were told not to do the other endorsements until the final trip to the DMV).

Then week 2 it was out to the yard to study pre-trip and backing maneuvers. The pre-trip is more memorization, pointing at parts and naming them, describing them as "not cracked damaged or loose" or "no abrasions bumps or cuts", and I was doing fine preparing for that. The backing though, after 3 days of practicing, I just could not even get the offset back, and was way behind the rest of the class in the backing skills, so I made the really hard decision to drop out today. I sent this email to a couple friends today telling them the news, and maybe others will know that it's not just a drug test that could keep you from doing it, it really could be anything that just happens to throw you for a loop:

"Well I guess both of you may as well know, I made the agonizing decision not to return to the trucking school this morning. I just couldn't get the backing maneuvers done. The rest of the class had moved on to other backing maneuvers, and the instructor was spending a lot of time with me trying to explain how to do it, and would hold on to the side of the truck and direct me, which would turn out ok, but then when I am by myself I just couldn't do it and would end up with the trailer way out to the side or something. I'm still not sure why I couldn't, and I think the instructor wasn't sure either. Maybe I just couldn't make the quick decisive decisions about which way to go needed while the truck was backing into the cones, I don't know.

I didn't seem to be getting any better as time went on, with the instructor telling me that they needed me to be able to do that, so it didn't seem like I would be passing the class. I'm sorry that I let both of you down, and even more I let myself down. I really did, and still do, think it would be great to drive a truck, even with the change in lifestyle, and I'm really disappointed that I didn't make it. I'm starting to look at other options, but i need a couple days to recover from this and heal the cold that I have and the sunburn, it's been a rough couple of weeks."

So after sending that email, I'm sharing with you guys too. It's my fault, the instructor was very nice and didn't get upset or anything (he has the perfect temperament for that), and I blame myself for somehow not being able to do it. I don't think I'll ever know truly why, and now every time I look at a truck I'll feel like crap. But that's life, isn't it, isn't always fair or right.

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The idea not to do any endorsement or training for these endorsement is a disservice to you. I was a Hazmat, Tanker man myself. Because in those days gasoline or airport fuel was hour for hour the best pay evah.

Im happy you picked up a sponsor ship.

Regarding backing.

It's really simple. Follow the trailer around. And mind your angle of your tractor by eyeballing the angle at your kingpin and drive wheels. Erase the angle as you back in.

You really made a mountain of backing. If this is your rubicon, ask your instructor to give you some extra alone time with the tractor trailer until you can back the #### thing roughly where YOU want it, not where you are told to put it (That will come soon enough) I hate to see you walk on failing to learn backing. Get back in there.

Wait until you discover backing a little wee 20 footer box is harder than a larger 53 foot sweetheart. You gotta keep at it.

If you exhibit over stress body and mind responses totally against backing, do not leave trucking entirely. You can run a class B for box trucks even some with a sleeper for customs work into airports and canada on really urgent and time freight that cannot under any circumstances be interrupted but amounts or too light for a full 18 wheeler trailer treatment.

Trucking school is wonderful. But you will never learn what you need to learn while there. The reason I say this is because in life you will be confronted with certain situations on which life and death will be determined by your next decision while rolling, sitting or otherwise doing some thing with that truck with something going bad around you in a hurry.

Trucking is a good and noble way of life, serving something larger than yourself in the United States as a Nation. We cannot not have truckers fail school or fail to be proactive hunting all the endorsements you want to get. The more you have, the more valuable you are. Literally.

I did let hazmat go after 9-11 I took joy in hauling hazmat correct every time on every load. But 9-11 became something of a grotesque situation in which hazmat was a potential attack vector and authorities were going crazy. I wanted no part of that.

Germangirl, Drac1985, BigSky and 2 others Thank this.
  4. freediverdude

freediverdude Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    That's interesting, they never told me to look at the angle down by the kingpin and drive wheels like that, they were telling me to look at the sides of the trailer and see where it was drifting and steer "towards the problem" meaning turn the wheel towards the side where the trailer is sticking out the wrong way. I wonder if that would have helped me know where the tractor was better.

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We had a 1957 white tractor with a 20 foot pup trailer in school for backing training, one of the things the trailer had was pre-1970 123 braking system.

Looking at the angle was how we were taught in our school back then. It was easier for some people to "Clean up" the angle until straight. Computer gaming featuring trucking with graphics powerful enough to back that trailer with your mirrior will feature a good view of your drives for that reason.

All my life Ive kept an eye on those drives so that if there is ANY angle being formed that is not normal such as on a curve for example, there is a jackknife happening and action needs to be executed before that angle reaches 15 degrees or more. Doing that has helped me get out of many tractor jackknifes and a couple trailer come arounds without wrecking. The first few scared me really badly enough to consider running home to mommy and never taking a chance on anything ever again. But after a few of those it's natural to recover quickly because you see the drives making a angle you don't want in time to do something about it.

freediverdude Thanks this.
  6. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Don't quit...try again. Heavy mentioned following the trailer in. Another way of saying the same thing is, point the trailer where you want it and then get the tractor in line with it.

Small moves with the wheel. It takes the trailer ten feet of moving before it responds to the steering wheel. It probably takes a more feet before you see the trailer responding to your steering. That means when you don't see it responding, you Jack the steering wheel more resulting in funky angles.

Be patient, idiots can figure out backing...you are smart, I know you can do it.
    On pull ups, pull up straight in front of your nose...watching the tail of the trailer. When the tail is pointed where you want it, go back into reverse while turning the wheel the same way you were turning before the pull up.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Backing takes time. Small wheel movements help tremendously.

Lucky you that your trainer was easy going. Mine was a complete ###### and he kept yelling "cone killer" in my window when I hit the cones. Not just me, but everyone. I finally had to back with different trainers.

Didn't start practicing the alley back until week 4. Passed CDL test first try.

It can happen. When it clicks it clicks.

8. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Go back to school and keep trying! You'll get it. The school sounds very professional and the instructors seem patient, take advantage of that. The CDL school I went to the instructors were hot headed and if a guy wasn't grasping something they were not shy about cutting him loose.

Ohboy83 Thanks this.
  9. Ohboy83

Ohboy83 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Shelton
    I always steer towards the problem that's the easiest way to do it. If you see more trailer in your right mirror then the left, turn the wheel right and the trailer should get back under the tractor. It takes practice especially if you e never backed a trailer before.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Ohboy83

Ohboy83 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Shelton
    You just have to follow the trailer, and go slow and make the small corrections before your trailer gets to far out of whack.

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Another idea to essentially stop stressing about these ideas is to find a spot of land that is not level, not even. Try backing straight back on that land. You will find the gravity pulling your trailer out of line. Fighting the trailer with SMALL movements at a time on wheel of your tractor will gently.. relatively speaking horse it back in line.

Some people think of a harbor tug and barge. So the tractor worries the trailer until it's in.

Another way to think of this whole thing is to discard the entire tractor this tractor that tractor something else... just say to yourself that the trailer has a set of front wheels that steers. Essentially the axle under the 5th wheel. Ignore the other 2, 3 or however many extra axles you do have on the tractor. YOU are the steer tires.

Once in a great while when confronted with a really tight area and you are ready to lose it and go postal, stop a sec, disconnect from the trailer completely and then get back into it sideways in a full jack angle of 90 degrees. Make #### sure your future depends on this.. make #### sure your king pin is not going to jump the 5th wheel doing this GENTLY.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.