My stupid driver.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by afterburn25, May 21, 2015.

1. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I have this driver keeps screwing up and I have had it with him.

I just sent him home Friday for his home time I called him on money his phone was turned off all day so couldn't get in touch with him to get him a load. Tuesday He finally called me back after I sent him an email the previous day. So I got him a load going to Buffalo, NY his home is Harrisville, PA. He picks up goes to Buffalo There wasn't much coming out of there that day loads been crappy all through there. So I FIGURED I would get him out first thing in the AM loads usually go fast so not something you can do in the middle of the day.
    The next day I got on the phone first thing in the AM got him booked on 2 loads to last him through Sunday.
    Then I try to call his cell of coarse its turned off again. well load didn't pick up till 14:00 and he was 10 miles away so we had time. then I receive an email from him not a phone call but an email. here is what it reads.

subject: Returned to my house
    John. waited till 17:00 hours yesterday no call. Returned to my house...

Not that he tried calling me but because I didn't call him he took it upon himself to driver 172 miles to go home after he just got off of home time and cost me $2500 in loads I had to cancel and broker was not happy and neither was I. He still has not called me or tried to get in touch with me all day. I would call but im sure his phone is turned off.

I have also noticed some suspicious activity his been buying a lot of anti freeze and sending me receipts said my clamp on a hose broke and he had to buy antifreeze. like 7 gallons of it. well we checked into it when we noticed they were from oriley and Wallmart and come to find out they don't sell the antifreeze for heavy duty trucks they antifreeze hes been getting is for cars.

So I start going over more receipts and also looks like hes been stealing fuel getting more fuel then the tanks hold.
    I want to just route him back and fire him but afraid hes going to do something to my truck. what are my legal options and how can I get my truck back safely

OOwannaBE Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Bring him in and boot him to the curb! He soynds like one of those mega carrier trained "I need a babysitter full time" steering wheel holders, and you don't have time to hold his hand and watch him full time.

4. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

How far is he from your place?
    Just go get the trk. on a surprise vist..

taxihacker66 Thanks this.
  5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    i would just drive to the house take the truck

Ditch Doctor and Grumppy Thank this.
  6. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I thought of that im in Louisiana hes in PA kinda far however im only 4 hours east of Houston could route him there and pick truck up

7. selftaughttrucker

selftaughttrucker Bobtail Member

May 21, 2015
    Baltimore, md
    I agree I would just go get the truck!

8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    far is a relative distance based on how much you want your truck

9. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    his problem is hes been driving 38 years and does what he wants. He thinks I work for him and when he doesnt get his way he throws a tantrum and hangs up on me.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  10. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Time to start micro managing the fuel like the Mega's do. Limit fill ups to 50 gals and make him fuel more often.

11. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    that's just it I don't want to recycle drivers like the megas do its very costly replacing drivers so I rather have a good working environment drivers don't want to leave I am a pretty good boss and am a trucker myself so I know what its like out there. but some people will take advantage.

Jerry12 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.