My Swiftie Life...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Kry0n, May 14, 2015.

1. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm a rookie... Same as you.

While I do feel some of your pain, I think your judgment is misguided.

My experience has been great, so take my optimism with a grain of salt.

Once you get comfortable with truck stops and spent more time at shippers... You will see...

1) Equipment issues are about the same across the board... Maybe it is the white paint, but swift actually looks cleaner in line at the truck stop.

2) I also think trailer damage is yard dogs... Except for the long gouges along the right side.

3) You also can't be sure damage is not reported. I send a freeform to my boss each time I hook.... If there is anything that could be blamed on me when I get back.

I think you may find your frustrations are job/industry.... And not company.

So far DM Training, Trainer training, pay scale for experienced drivers... Are about the only complaints I find credible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Ok, finally got to the end of this thread.

Let me begin, I'm a L/O for swift. One half of a couple team.

Your posts in the beginning were optimistic and informative, but if you read through, you have begun doing the two worst things you can do in this industry.

1.) Keeping score.

You cannot keep score in this industry, if you have trouble at a shipper, a bad trailer etc. Etc. Let it roll off your back and keep going, keeping score of every bad thing you have happen will ruin and make you gloss over the good.

2.) Looking for someone to blame rather than saying, "How can I fix this?"

Your trailer incident is a perfect example, rather than asking for help from someone with more knowledge, you went looming for someone to blame... (other "scumbag" drivers, swift...etc.)

If that trailer was damaged, you didn't have to take it. Had you asked someone who had been there already, like me, or mystic or a few others...we would have told you to Mac about a damaged trailer at shipper/reciever, leave it and get another one.

Failing that, you assumed a mud flap or light out was an OOS violation. Neither were more than a minor offense that would have netted you a "fix it warning" from any reasonable DOT officer. Very few if any DOT officers will notice either of these unless you're rolling through scales. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken there is a provision for small issues like that which allows you to legally transport a damaged trailer a short distance, so long as you're enroute to a repair facility. Which you could have proved you were easily in the unbelievably unlikely chance you were pulled by DOT.

Again, something someone with a little more time under their belt could have helped you with.

Now, this is not a personal attack against you and it's hard to convey tone over the internet. We were all like you once, I finished school a couple months before you started, and have my own thread on my time here.

Swift is certainly not perfect, there are things that need to be changed. But you don't seem to have a realistic view of the trucking industry yet, and have built this idea up of this giant monster company that just chews cdls up and spits them out.

Swift has a system, it's not perfect, but once you learn to work within that system, your time here will be much easier.

As far as your theories on L/O. My mentor was L/O. He taught me a great deal, I still call him daily and get advice from him as needed. He's been with the company 8 years.

I, and a guy who went through academy with me are both lease ops. He was my roommate, he pulls solo and makes good money. It's all in how you run your business, and what loads you're willing to run.

I wish you the best of luck man, but please look for help before you assume the system is out to get you. I'll be glad to PM you my phone number to help.

Father Luke, Arkansas, Kindle and 4 others Thank this.
  4. spectacle13

Oct 19, 2013
    Also, before I forget. Any terminal shop keeps trailer lights on hand. Get two of every one and keep them in your side box. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Same with fuses, headlights for the truck, and spare fluids...oil, coolant, and washer fluid. All this is free to company drivers for the asking.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Reason for edit: a word
    A_C_Cooper and MysticHZ Thank this.
  5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    The trailer I picked up today (loaded) had 3 lights that needed replacing.
    Tag, upper rear marker and upper right marker. The upper right light was completely missing, not just burned out.

I rolled with it until my fuel stop 45 miles later and then called on-road. We couldn't use the indy shop behind the Love's so we set up the repair at the TA where I was going to stop for the night - another 90 miles.

When I first talked with the guy at on-road he had asked if it was the rear marker lights. A bit later in the conversation I asked him how he knew what light was out.
    A repair order had been submitted 2 weeks earlier.

Maybe the trailer had been sitting that long at Miller/Coors, or maybe other drivers had run with it in that condition for that long before I got it.
    But the lights had been reported to Swift long ago, and no one saw fit to get it fixed.

Well, now they're fixed.

HousTank and spectacle13 Thank this.
  6. Rick Brown

Rick Brown Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Monroe NC
    I can't say my experince with Swift was a good one, but that was in 1990-91. I am sure a lot of things have changed since then, the biggest issue was non-centralized dispatch for me, always seemed I had to fight for a decent load except out of my home terminal.

7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Yep ... fixed so far this year ... 3 trailers for DOT lights, 2 trailers for brakes, 2 trailers for marker lights, 1 trailer for glad hands, 1 trailer for roof leak, 1 trailer for a bent/jammed tandem handle and 1 plate light.

8. spectacle13

Oct 19, 2013
    Oh man, I'd like to choke whoever is bending those tandem axle release handles, you really don't have a pair of f#! $@€! Vise grips on your truck?!!?? But you have a hammer big enough to bend a 3/8 steel bar?

pumpkinhead and HousTank Thank this.
  9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    That's not how they get bent ... it's from slamming the tandems when they're sliding them. It's a slow lethal process. Now once they do start to get a little bent, no doubt the hammers are coming into play.

I picked up a 15 trailer last week and the handle had already started to develop a bow.

10. Kindle

Kindle Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    A Swift trailer mechanic told me he thinks its from the no-vise-grip drivers using a bungee to force it to stay by strapping it forward then moving the tandems. He said he'd observed a few doing that. Why people can't buy a simple set of vise-grips (under $10 at Harbor Freight) and a few other simple tools is beyond me.

HousTank Thanks this.
  11. Kry0n

Kry0n Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I wish it would have been that easy to just grab another trailer, but the damaged one was preloaded and I had to take it.

Thanks for the reply and your right. I have become more negative about Swift as the days have gone by. I'm mainly frustrated with amount of miles I have been getting. I have a perfect on time record. Gold status but am barely getting 2k miles a week now.

In any case I'm going to do my best to just roll with the punches. Everyday I'm here I'm that much closer to having more experience for my next company.

Today's update:
    I made my delivery to WA 15 hours early even with the down time from the repair I'm happy about that. The traffic in Portland is so bad I cant believe it. Everytime i come through here its a mess. I thought Los Angeles was bad. Other than thay it was a nice drive up here today, and crossing my fingers I get out of here. I'm at the swift terminal in Sumner, WA and I have never seen so many bobtail trucks in one place. The driver lounge is packed with drivers waiting for loads. Noway am I gonna hang out in there with all the negative talk that's going on. Going to make some hot dogs and soup and play some games and watch some movies.

Fingers crossed I get a load in the direction for home. My macro 8 is set for 7/30 in NM. Not gonna make that, but all good.

inkeper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.