My Swiftie Life...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Kry0n, May 14, 2015.

1. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    When I was a noob starting out I made garbage also.. once you put your time in you can earn a lot better elsewhere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Yes paid off truck.
    Rented a truck for 2 weeks $700 a week plus $0.11 cents per mile charge. During that time was also off at home for 2 weeks which is what put it in the hole so deep.

I agree that striving for the positive settlement every week in and week out can be detrimental to the strange vagaries of the business of trucking. I often wonder if I came back to Swift now if I would be more successful knowing what I know now. I fell into a mind trap over there that I couldn't run certain lanes or accept certain loads because they put me in bad terrain or bad areas or delivered on the wrong days etc.[/QUOTE]

4. fr8monkey

fr8monkey Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    [/QUOTE]
    I only did that at swift in the beginning ,thinking omg no freight here.....but time and time again even in the most backwater piece of crap place I could get a load...unless in a very crowded market like Cali in February ....swift would have a load nearby and on any day,Saturday's and Sunday's.....now I realize how rare Saturday and Sunday loading is....and how great drop and hook freight is...especially weekends...drop a load at Walmart dc on Saturday,no problem,get a trailer go pu your load at lowes dc on Sunday,lol...deliver that on Monday,etc etc

5. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    My mentor kind of touched on this...

If your in it for the most money, the big ticket is to be O/O or L/O and a trainer.
    Also O/O can get on with the third party broker.. Command loads??

Anyway... They are basically getting paid off of two clocks! 5-6K miles per week.
    Anywhere from 1.40 and up.. Some of the third party broker loads worked out to closer to $2/mile.

Luckly my guy took his job seriously. He was very cool to hang out with and have a meal.
    I felt during training he was a bit too harsh with corrections.. I kind of got more worried about pissing him off, than making mistakes. But after watching the other student on the road test with me fail out.... I was glad to have a guy that was on my ### to get it right!
    Plus he did a great job of turning off 'instructor mode' when I was not in drivers seat, or working QUALCOMM. All in all I'm pretty happy with the process. Getting yelled at for screwing up, is certainly not something to be crying about! And it was great have another Texan to grab a steak with and watch a movie those few times we had down time. We ran pretty hard, I knocked out my 200 hours in 4 weeks. And we took one three day weekend at 1.5 weeks, as we were able to Tcall at the home terminal. And we each did one other 34 reset over lapped so we got a good sleep in a parked truck.

I also got assigned to a regional/local acct that runs sunday night thru thurs nights, so I will be home every Friday eve thru sunday morning... depending on how the loads fall, I may only have to spend a couple nights a week sleeping in the truck.

Its interesting how these experiences vary.... I was prepared for the worst, and have been pleasantly surprised every step of the way. Swift has been great for me!!

The only complaint I have so far... those of us that were stuck waiting extra days for a mentor were told we would get $50/per day 'lay-over' pay. Then later that evening it was offered for me to go home if I wanted... they would call me, there was no need to hang out waiting. The call came 4 days later, and I hit the road with my mentor 2 days later.

Fast forward two weeks into OTR with mentor... no sign yet of that lay over pay.
    Call to check on it... was told that I was ineligible to get it since I choose to go home during the wait. This was a snake like maneuver! It was never explained that you had to stay at the terminal hotel. Plus this is just bad anyway, if someone was to figure that out... then they would check into the hotel, and then go home, wasting more company money.
    I'm not one to waste any money, but had I known, I would have played the game.
    It was basically stated "don't worry about the delay, were going to get your $50 per day... by the way no need to sit here while we figure it out, go home and we will call you when your set"

Everything else has been so great, I'm not going to let that $200 screw it up for me.
    Plus I can tell, no one in the training/orientation/driver development had been there long. So I don't think that it was a snake maneuver... more so a bunch of new people under the gun to get stuff done, and not yet knowing the details themselves. Most of the complaints I see about this company seems to have roots in turnover/training/management. In as much as they are a logistics company, they really seem to struggle with infrastructure logistics!

6. YodaPagoda

YodaPagoda Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    Dagobah (Portland, OR)
    I finally got off my mentor's truck here in Memphis (I'm out of Troutdale) and I completely agree with @Kry0n about the lease mentors. My mentor was living off Pilot points and barely had money, which was obviously because he made terrible business decisions.

7. WitchyWomen

WitchyWomen Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    My L/O lives off Pilot points because why turn down free food, showers and merchandise? They don't all make bad business decisions maybe he has a wife like me who gets thousands of dollars from her hard working man. Thankfully he still has plenty to buy whatever he wants, but stuff for his new truck and motorcycle end up at home not in his work truck.

8. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    The I must be doing something right. Last time checked my Pilot points, around 45000 points and my T/A about 20000. And on the Pilot that was after Christmas shopping using about 15000 points. One of these days I am going to just have to figure out what I actually need and then purchase. I did find out that I can use my points at the T/A for the vape. Decisions, decisions

9. Kry0n

Kry0n Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Solo Status

Hello again.
    First of all thank you to everyone that has read this thread and contributed to the information for others.

Well I have been out here for 3 full months now continuing on my new trucking career. There have been some ups and downs and have learned a lot. I know see first hand of some of the frustrations and aggravating things that drivers go through on a daily basis. I am going to try and recap the ups and downs I have had within these 3 months of me being a solo company driver.

When I tested out at the PHX terminal, there were 3 parts to the test out. Written Test, Road Test, Backing Test. I nailed both Written and Road, tester even commented on how well I did on the road portion. Then came the backing portion. I'm gonna be honest and keep it real. That didn't go as planned. I had to backup and park between 2 trailers. I had 20 minutes to do this and could get out as many times as needed. Long story short I bumped the passenger side trailer and failed miserably. I was so disappointed in myself and felt extremely discouraged. The instructor told me I would need to take the "Close Quarter Training" class and test again. They put me up in a hotel that night and reported back in the morning for the training. The guy giving the class was amazing. He told us the exact techniques to use and what to look for when backing up. "Keep your eye on the ball" was his motto. Things that were never told or given to me during the mentor phase. It's funny how things work out. By the end of the class I was actually thankful I failed the backing portion. The training class gave me the confidence and proper training i needed to head out on my own. You can take this class at anytime even if you are already solo. I passed my backing test and upgraded to solo, Woohoo!!

Next came Tractor Assignment. This is where you get your truck. At the time the selection was very limited and only a few to pick from. I grabbed a Freightliner and gathered my things. I was given a load back home so that I could take some much needed time off. My terminal manager called me before I left and asked if I needed anything before leaving. I informed him I was going to take 5 days after dropping this off as I have been out here for a little over 2 months. He agreed, but told me I would need to turn the keys in at the terminal. So really there was no point in being picky of the truck you get. If you go home fr more than 3 days after doing the mentor phase your going to lose your truck anyway. I didn't care though I just wanted to get home. I grabbed an empty and was on my way. Man oh man was I excited but scared out of my mind at the same time. On one hand I was excited because I was the boss now. If I saw a Mcdonalds or something I wanted it was my choice to pull over. The freedom was very exciting. Then on the other hand I was scared out of my mind because I was truly alone. No one to help me backup or ask a question.
    My first load was a pickup at a Costco DC nearby. I pulled in and was informed to drop my empty and pickup preload. I prepared to drop off my empty and was so nervous I can't even tell you. My first time at a customer location. Don't hit anything! I setup for my back and started to drive her in. I guess I had rookie written all over my windshield, because this nice old man who worked for Costco, jumped out of his truck and help guide me in. Man I was so thankful to him and vowed I would pay it forward to any other driver I saw needing help.
    Ok now that was done I need to grab my preload. I unhooked and found the trailer. Hooked up to it and saw the tandems were all the way to the back. My mentor never showed me this part and when asked they told me don't worry about it. Well alot of good that does me now that I'm solo, but was determined to figure it out. My load was like 42,000 lbs.
    I recalled back to my youtube research and slid the tandems. Now the question was how far? I threw it in some random hole and drove on to the scale Costco had onsite. My Trailer tandems were over weight, FML!
    No joke I messed around with the tandems and scale for easily an hour before I got it right. Jumping in and out of the truck, to far back, to far forward, Ugh!! Finally scaled out enough for me to continue my journey home. When I picked up this Freightliner they told me it had no differential lock, but wouldn't be a problem until winter. When I pulled out of Costco I could feel the driver side front steer come off the ground. The load was so heavy the truck just was pulling right. I called mentor and he said that was normal. I had pulled loads this heavy before but never felt a steer literally come off the ground while accelerating. I made my way up into the mountains of AZ into Flagstaff and onto the I40 towards NM. I didn't have enough time on my clock due to taking so long at Costco, I couldn't make it home that day. I found a nice empty dirt spot and shutdown. No way was I going to attempt a truck stop first time out. "Did you hear about Kry0n?, the guy crushed a truck his first night out" this was all I could think of, so I settled for a nice dirt spot instead. Just me and the tumbleweeds.

The next day I made it to my delivery and back to the terminal safe and sound. I had done it! my first load in the books. No tickets, no accidents, no breakdowns. I was a happy man. Turned in my keys and headed home. Spent five days and was ready to hit the road for some adventure. I was assigned another Freightliner, but this time it was a nicer, newer truck. It had diff lock and was 2015 with 130k miles on her. It didn't smell like sweaty balls or smoke. Nice clean truck. I was given a load that picked up in Oklahoma and delivered to Louisiana. I drove empty all the way from Albuquerque to Oklahoma. Whatever you say...
    I completed that run and a few others after that. With each successful delivery my confidence got better and better. The truck felt smaller and smaller and I felt bigger and bigger driving her down the open road. I started to see why people really liked this job. Backing up got more fun, rain storms became less scary, truck stops even though still scary.. became less and less. I was starting to become a noob trucker, just enough to be dangerous.

I stay out for a bout 2 maybe 2 1/2 weeks and come home. I stay home for 2-3 days then head back out. With each time feeling like I really could handle myself much better in this big trucking world. I have done lots of mountain driving and pretty heavy rain. I have been through the mountains of Utah into Salt Lake City, Oregon mountains, California traffic and freeways. I know my qualcomm very good now. I am also starting to understand that ropes here at the shipper and receiver. Every day gets a little easier then the last.
    So far Swift has treated me pretty well. No real complaints. They get me home pretty much when I ask. Only one time was I late and that was only off by one day. The truck has been incredible. (Knock on wood) Me and her have become very close and I started to make it feel more like a home, with each new addition I bring on.
    I had a ice chest for the first 3 months and man was that a pain in the you know what. Buying ice everyday was not only expensive but if I forgot that day I ran the risk of losing all the food i needed to keep cold. Learned that the hard way when I had to throw a bunch of stuff out when I had to take a 34 hour reset and forgot to grab ice, Doh! I saved up some points to help me buy a Coleman 12v cooler and it's amazing. What a relief off my shoulders to not remember to buy ice, and keeps things perfect. I can now have milk with my cereal. I am living the dream!! I got a new phone with Metro PCS for $60 a month with unlimited Data. This has been my best friend. The signal is much better in areas than I had with Virgin, and as long as I am near a decent sized city or town, I can watch anything I want. Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, I even tether to my tablet and play Hearthstone. Am I spoiled or what? All I need now is a decent size Inverter and microwave and bathroom and shower and sink. Oh wait is that asking for to much? Nah didn't think so.

I will be making more frequent posting on this thread documenting my daily / weekly journey in this beautiful world of trucking. Is it for everyone? I don't know why don't you come out here and see for yourself...

I will close on this... I was parked next to a trucker at some shipper and he had this written on his truck really big. "When I die, Im going to Paradise, Because I work in Hell!"

Be safe All, Thanks for reading.

One Love!

10. GraceLives

GraceLives Bobtail Member

May 8, 2015
    Tulsa, Ok
    Thanks for sharing your story. I am hoping to do the same soon. I'm just getting started with my husband as my trainer. Been driving for two days now and handled the I-40 mountains OK. I don't like night driving but know I'll get used to it eventually... Maybe. So glad my hubby is training me. So far he is very helpful. We are delivering in Stockton CA tomorrow morning, so with that said its back to nighty night for me. I look forward to seeing more of your updates.

Akula Thanks this.
  11. A_C_Cooper

A_C_Cooper Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    I'm looking at going with Swift through Swift Academy some time around September, after I get some money put away to cover my bills while I'm there. I'm planning on going flatbed. Like you I'm in the technology sector. Its a shame the way they are practically making pc's disposable now:biggrin_25513:. I really appreciate your posts keep 'em coming and good luck . :biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.