my thoughts on mandatory e logs

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by uplander, Jun 6, 2015.

1. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    I know that, and you know that, but it's the people who sit and say, "Oh, you can't do anything illegal while you're on ELogs that are full of ####. I've heard of companies "Adjusting" the logs for drivers to make them legal.

Why do the big companies want ELogs, because there is NO PAPER TRAIL. They can change what they need to make it legal.

stacks, Joetro and scottied67 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    I call them EBS units. (Electronic Baby Sitters)

4. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Thank you for this post B, I have NEVER thought they should be mandatory, but unless you have used them, WITH a company that UNDERSTANDS how to schedule you on them, then you really have no idea how it will affect you, way too much speculation and fear of the dark out there!

5. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Can't change drive time, at least not on our system.

6. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    That will change with the new regs on e-logs when the mandate rolls out. All initial entries must be stored along with all subsequent changes. That will be put into the software on these systems. Doesn't matter if the driver, or the carrier, changes something. The initial entry will still be stored and there better be a good reason for the subsequent change. Take the time and read the e-log mandate proposal and it spells all this out.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I ran on them for 2.5 years. Still have the MCP200 bolted to my dash after I quit the carrier and they backcharged me $3000 for it. It's not functioning other than it lights up and I set it at max brightness at night slow rolling through an open scale lol, they just wave me on by...

If they mandate it for everyone that's fine, I am ready to turn my account on. In the meantime I prefer to run paper logs for my own reasons.

snowwy and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i'd like to know how you elogs handle cali. cuz that crap hole takes up the 14 pretty much every trip. just delivering and reloading. your lucky to start your day in hesperia and make it back to hesperia before the 14 expires.

our flatbed division is mostly cali. we leave sunday, home tuesday, leave wed, home friday. and i don't see that same schedule happening once elogs are mandated. when that time comes. it'll be leave sunday early, spend monday in cali. and hope you get back in time to deliver on tuesday. which probably won't happen. it'll be pushed into wednseday. lucky to unload on and reload on thursday. i don't see any driver making back in time on friday. so the boss will have to pick up our loads friday. and deliver what we bring back on monday. which takes a cut in our pay. drivers probably wn't be back till saturday. not enough time for a 34 which means no hours to head back out on sunday.

i can see mandated elogs bankrupting the flatbed division portion of the company.

9. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Probably 40% of our business goes to Cali, I guess the biggest thing is we are pretty flexible on driver routing, IOW, if they have a drop in L.A. and pickup in L.A./Laguna/Chino, we would have him load in the city while he was there and then work his way out where traffic wouldn't be as bad later in the day.

Even if this means a couple of extra miles on the other end to drop in order or a reshuffle. And yes, it does push your 14.

10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    i ran elogs for a couple yrs and didnt mind em but the carrier i was with mostly had fcfs appts ....no way id wana be on elogs haulin produce tho !

DTP Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Most of our crap. Gets picked up deeper into the dogs. Where it takes 5 to 6 hours getting back out. Bunch of BS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.